Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DAA Racemaster vs Alpha-X

lacivilian

So after recently breaking the aluminum locking ball on the RaceMaster pouches for the 2nd time I have had enough with breaking them. With a serious amount of dry fire time at high speeds the two nubs can not hold up in the long run. I would like to know if anyone out there is experiencing this problem or other problems with their new AlphaX pouches. I am ready to post these for sell if the new AlphaX has solved this issue. NO I am NOT interested in switching brands of pouches as I love the adjustability that the DAA pouches offer. 

The X pouch is a completely different approach.  The ball joint is now clamped in place and not held with set screws.  The weak point was the dovetail in the early models and DAA has addressed it with updated parts that locks the dovetail better.  I haven't yet had issues with mine but it's still early.  I will say the pouch is improved over the race master in terms of setting the adjustments and significantly improved in how smooth the mag releases.  After experimenting I find the Race Master the least desirable of the offerings but the X and Racers are very good.

3 hours ago, theWacoKid said:

The X pouch is a completely different approach.  The ball joint is now clamped in place and not held with set screws.  The weak point was the dovetail in the early models and DAA has addressed it with updated parts that locks the dovetail better.  I haven't yet had issues with mine but it's still early.  I will say the pouch is improved over the race master in terms of setting the adjustments and significantly improved in how smooth the mag releases.  After experimenting I find the Race Master the least desirable of the offerings but the X and Racers are very good.

I am feeling the same way. Out with the racemasters but wanted to be sure I was not going to run into the same issue.

On 11/4/2018 at 5:43 PM, lacivilian said:

So after recently breaking the aluminum locking ball on the RaceMaster pouches for the 2nd time I have had enough with breaking them. With a serious amount of dry fire time at high speeds the two nubs can not hold up in the long run. I would like to know if anyone out there is experiencing this problem or other problems with their new AlphaX pouches. I am ready to post these for sell if the new AlphaX has solved this issue. NO I am NOT interested in switching brands of pouches as I love the adjustability that the DAA pouches offer. 

Now, I have only had my Racemaster pouches for about 4 years (3 years, 11 months to be more exact) and have not run Into any issue with breaking the locking ball. I am curious, how much force are you applying to break this ball? 

I am applying a bit of force to the 2 set screws in the base, but more force to the mount that hold the actual pouch, with thread locking compound. My only complaint is how the mounting screw gets loose over time. I had no idea you could go full retard and break the ball. Maybe I need to work out more?

12 minutes ago, Nevadazielmeister said:

Now, I have only had my Racemaster pouches for about 4 years (3 years, 11 months to be more exact) and have not run Into any issue with breaking the locking ball. I am curious, how much force are you applying to break this ball? 

I am applying a bit of force to the 2 set screws in the base, but more force to the mount that hold the actual pouch, with thread locking compound. My only complaint is how the mounting screw gets loose over time. I had no idea you could go full retard and break the ball. Maybe I need to work out more?

An hour of dry fire every day. I am not a small gentle person either. I use my gear the way its intended and it isn't holding up.