Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Rear Sight Blade.

R112mercer

I'm putting a new rear sight blade in my 625 and I'm trying to figure out how to make sure I have enough windage adjustment left after I stake the windage nut. Should I adjust the sight so the blade is to the leftmost, rightmost, or centered before I tighten the windage nut, back off a hair, and stake it?

I'm putting a new rear sight blade in my 625 and I'm trying to figure out how to make sure I have enough windage adjustment left after I stake the windage nut.  Should I adjust the sight so the blade is to the leftmost, rightmost, or centered before I tighten the windage nut, back off a hair, and stake it?

I usually center the blade, tighten and back off one click to prevent it from being too tight.

When staked, the whole thing turns so so will be able to adjust as needed. Best trick I have is take the old apart inside a large clear plastic bag so the spring and plunger don't go south on you. The little rascall really flies ;)

regards,

Yep, that's the way to do it. Plenty of adjustment left. I never realized how shallow my old rear notch was. Looked like the rear sight on a SAA or original issue GI 1911. Now to see if being able to see that big black post on the end of my barrel will help me shoot better...

Rob,

I've found that if you unscrew the little screw right above the barrel, cylinder and put a Millet on there it is a whole lot easier, and that back blade is the same from top to bottom, no radius on the bottom to glare in the sun at you. ;)

Plus, if it ever screws up just send it back to Brownells, they will replace it. :)

Hop

That was real CLOSE .... Mike..... uh uh........uhmmm.......LOL !!!

I just put "back on" a Weigand rear sight. Its a deeper notch with a rear profile similar to the Millet.

Cant seem to make up my mind these...... uh...uhm..... days!!!!

I love the Weigand look, Marianas Trench depth rear notch, big black billboard over all look. I don't like the Weigand reliability, thin, bent, aluminum attachment pieces become twisted, mangled aluminum junk in my hands. Plus it's embarassing enough shooting a Nationals stage without ears, let alone having to ask for help finding your rear sight blade... As to Millett's, I also have one of them and found the rear notch to be just as shallow as my old blade. Do they offer different heights? I only remember different styles. Jerry showed me an interesting rear sight from Bowen Classic Arms. It's called a "Rough Country" rear sight and has a perfectly flat back blade with a nice deep rear notch. Only probelems are the fact that it only comes in a white outline rear and costs @ $100.00. Hop, as to glare on the rear because of the hump, a Carbide Lamp does a wicked job on that.

Yepper, the Millett rear sight does indeed come in 3 or 4 different heights, and only the shortest one gives that shallow look you're talking about. I think I have the .360" on my 625......

I haven't seen the Bowen sight, but I would suspect the white outline could be removed fairly easily with the correct chemicals and/or tools!

Mike

Rob,

So does changing it out to a Millet, which is a whole bunch a stronger sight. IMO.

I use the "medium" height .360 I think, correct me if I'm wrong Mike.

Plenty of "depth" in that rear notch.

(around 30 bucks from Brownells, if you have a Tax number)

Hopalong

The good news is the rear blade installation went without a hitch! The bad news is the rear sight is now too high and I ran out of downward elevation when I went to zero! Back to Brownells for the middle height blade...