Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tracking training progress with an app or spreadsheet

nasty618

Hi all

Trying to find a better way to track my live/dry fire training sessions and progress.  Not a timer app, but an actual log/diary with configurable related fields.  I looked at re-purposing a few fitness/work out tracker apps from the Android store, but they all seemed lacking.... Before i start re-inventing the wheel and designing my own spreadsheet,  there must be someone who already tackled this project.  I did some searching but could not seem to find anything specific to address this need... 

How do you guys track your sessions and progress? Do you have an Android app you could recommend? Is there a spreadsheet you could share with me?

Thank you in advance!

Just now, Chills1994 said:

Can you shoot a sub 4 second El Prez?

Clean?

Have you ever looked at other drills like Bill Drill, Triple Nickle, FAST drill?

Or even the old 90 round IDPA classifier?

Unclear how this is relevant to the topic at hand.

I use an iOS app on my iPhone called Day One. It’s basically just a simple workout diary but it works for me when I use it in conjunction with my dryfire app.  

Additionally, I track my Steel Challenge match times on a spreadsheet, but I only see that being appropriate if you’re an SC shooter.   

Edited by jkrispies

1 hour ago, jkrispies said:

I use an iOS app on my iPhone called Day One. It’s basically just a simple workout diary but it works for me when I use it in conjunction with my dryfire app.  

Additionally, I track my Steel Challenge match times on a spreadsheet, but I only see that being appropriate if you’re an SC shooter.   

The Steel challenge spreadsheet I use is awesome!  Which one do you use?

11 hours ago, jkrispies said:

I just made my own using Excel.  Is there an SC specific commercial version out there?

I have a pretty good one I got from someone.  message me your e-mail and I'll send it to you.

Edited by stick

On 9/4/2018 at 1:22 PM, nasty618 said:

Unclear how this is relevant to the topic at hand.

There are maybe a handful of pistol drills that most of us USPSA'ers/pistoleros  have heard of.

A sub 4 second El Prez would be analogous to being able run a 4 minute mile.

It sets a benchmark or standard in everyone's mind that is easily recognizable and understable.

Shooting an El Prez or the old 90 round IDPA classifier would set a baseline or benchmark metric for you to judge your progress on without having to put everything into Excel and watching it trend in graph form.

On 9/8/2018 at 11:42 AM, Chills1994 said:

There are maybe a handful of pistol drills that most of us USPSA'ers/pistoleros  have heard of.

A sub 4 second El Prez would be analogous to being able run a 4 minute mile.

It sets a benchmark or standard in everyone's mind that is easily recognizable and understable.

Shooting an El Prez or the old 90 round IDPA classifier would set a baseline or benchmark metric for you to judge your progress on without having to put everything into Excel and watching it trend in graph form.

Sir, thank you, but I was not asking for recommendations on drills or times.