Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help Setting Up Cr-speed Rig With 1911

boo radley

I finally got tired of my WalMart belt, and Kydex paddle holster and magazine holders, and bought a CR speed belt, and CR 2001 holster from the classifieds. The rig came with some holders, but they were for double-stack mags, so I sold 'em.

The instructions one setting up the holster are a bit unclear, and it's further complicated by the fact that I have a zip-lock baggie full of a bunch of shims and god knows what, including what appears to be a 2nd magazine cup on a broken piece of aluminum.

That said, here are my basic questions:

1) The instructions reference a white plastic screw. I have that screw. There's no way in hell it will screw down "flush" per the instructions, and if I do screw it in until it stops, it tips the barrel of my 1911 up so high, the trigger guard doesn't engage properly. Right now, I'm not even using the screw -- it doesn't seem to much matter. I suppose I could cut 1/3 off the plastic screw, or so, but...is that how this holster is designed??

2) There are myriad of adjustments possible with the versa-hanger thing. Is there a rule of thumb, or general guideline for getting started? With my Kydex holster (which I've now gotten completely used to) there were no adjustments. Now I'm wondering where to start -- keep the pistol as low as possible, and close to vertical?

3) When I eventually buy some single-stack mag holders, how do you space them? I see folks with all kinds of crazy cants and locations. Is this just personal feel? Or is there some method or logical sense to the positioning? Since I'll probably be shooting L10 for some time, I will need access to 4 mags.

Thx. This rig sure feels...different. No doubt.

I don't know the particular holster, so I can't comment on the white screw. Holster - I put to the right side, slightly behind mid pocket. Rake is adjusted so that the front of the grip is level. Cant is adjusted to be comfortable, so that my hand meets the grip squarely in a natural fashion. Height adjusted so that the front edge of the grip is roughly at the same level as the bottom of the belt.

Mag pouches - I put the first one dead center, and adjust the rake so that it feels comfortable. There are various schools of thought on this (and evidence to show that, if you're well practiced, the dead center pouch isn't really faster, but...). I space the others so that as I grab the mag to the front, I don't contact the mag in the pouch behind it. Rake is, again, adjusted for comfort.

My rig is L-10, too. Getting to that fourth pouch is a little bit awkward, but practice helps, there.

I might be using terms wrong up there - rake = forward/backward angle, cant = butt of gun toward/away from me.

That's just how I do it :)

I just recently got a CR Speed holster for my Paras, both Open and Limited guns. I previously used a Safariland 010 or a Bladetech holster for the guns. Neither had any adjustments so the CR was quite a change.

I am not sure why your gun still points muzzle up with the white screw all the way in. Do you have a 1911 with a light rail? None of mine required the screw to be turned in much over 1/2 way to fit level in the holster.

As for the adjustment for angle and height, that is a personal preference. I used one of the shims in the bag to space the holster out from the hanger bar. It got it further from my body which keeps the holster from banging on my thigh when walking or running. It also got the holster out to a more natural draw for me.

I also angled the holster to point forward more so than parallel to the hanger as I wear it slightly ahead of my hip. It seems to keep the draw straighter to the target.

Height is a personal preference and I have mine set with about 1/2 inch of the rod sticking out from the bottom. It is also set pretty straight up and down. I am very used to the Bladetech and it's vertical draw so this was a more natural position for me.

You will find you won't need most of the extra pieces in the bag but they are nice to have to get that perfect fit for you. It is a trial and error process but you will find the adjustment that works.

Mag pouch placement is personal too. I seem to start mine left of center of my body. Many have the first mag centered in the middle but I find I end up grabbing the 2nd mag 1st if I set them this way. Again it is just in what you are used to. I carried mags on my left front or left side for so long that it is just more natural for me than reaching to the center of my body. There is no set of rules as to how to set your mags except for Production class.

...from the classifieds. The rig came with some holders, but they were for double-stack mags, so I sold 'em.

They must not have been CR mag holders which fit doubles and singles.

-Chet

No, no they weren't

Merlin -- great pictures, many thanks. Your white screw works as I'd expect; mine doesn't, and sticks out almost an inch, after being screwed in all the way. Clearly it's not the right part. <sigh>

I ended up cutting my white plastic screw in half, last night. Much better - now it screws in flush enough that I can back it out a turn or two, and it supports the dustcover (right term?) nicely, so the pistol doesn't rock back and forth.

I also used one of the square shims - I assume that's what they're for, since the holes lined up -- between the hanger and holster, and otherwise played with the angles and adjustments so it's mostly comfortable.

I certainly won't be able to blame the holster for draw times, from this point on. And I like the belt system -- so much nicer than having those Kydex paddles jam ya', and move around.

All is well that ends well.  :)   I like the CRs and use them for 3 setups - everything but Production...Actually I like the old ver. better than the new.  ;)

Well...I just got my first DQ in a match, today, when my pistol bounced out of the CR holster during a short dash, before opening a door, on one stage.

That will teach me to engage the *#*$%@ lock, from now on, if there's movement before drawing. A humiliating lesson.

Well...I just got my first DQ in a match, today, when my pistol bounced out of the CR holster during a short dash, before opening a door, on one stage.

That will teach me to engage the *#*$%@ lock, from now on, if there's movement before drawing.  A humiliating lesson.

Do you have a bit of slop in the holster? My trigger guard is pretty tightly held in the holster.

That will teach me to engage the *#*$%@ lock, from now on, if there's movement before drawing.  A humiliating lesson.

Do you have a bit of slop in the holster? My trigger guard is pretty tightly held in the holster.

There's a little bit of slop, but not much. OTOH, I can turn the holster upside down, and with a slight shake the pistol pops right out (if the safety catch isn't engaged). Is that normal?

I'm posting a couple pictures below of the setup -- if something's glaringly incorrect, please let me know.

Man. The thing that REALLY irritates me about the DQ is that a) I never should have run with the pistol holstered; was just doing so because there was a general request not to draw until through the door, since some shooters were crossing themselves, and B) the RO even *asked* me during LAMR -- "your gun's not going to fall out when you run, is it?" Oh, no. Grrrrrr. Mad at myself.

holster.jpg

holster1.jpg

If there is slop side to side try a thicker spacer (the white piece sandwiched by the trigger guard) to take up some of the slop.

Mine may fall out if I shake it upside down, havn't tried that, havn't had a problem with moving yet though, will have to test some more.

Will also compare your pics with my setup.