Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stroked .40 and spring / buffer

mach1soldier

I’m bored and experimenting with springs. For those of you with stroked .40’s shooting major, what is your spring / buffer combo? I am really liking an 11lb with 3 coils clipped.

i want to experiment with the alumabuff this week as many people told me to try them. 

Any thoughts on the combo or what you prefer? 

Buffer will slightly un stroke your gun, by the thickness of the buffer.

Probably not a big deal.

BUT

I've never found the need for buffers so like you said you're  bored,  go and play and let us know what you thought

I didn't care for a stroked pistol so I used a Wilson buffer and a Dawson alumabuff in front of it with a Wolff 12lb spring.It still had a little stroke but I liked it much better.
Not all springs equal the advertised rate. Get a good spring scale if you don't already have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're set up to load long, you can push to 10mm Auto velocities.  My 10mm needed a very strong recoil spring to work well with full power loads; I had to have them custom made.  Shock buffers definitely help, but I've only found polymer buffers for my application - copper, brass, or aluminum would probably last longer.

Be careful shooting beyond the capabilities of your platform - for instance, typical Glocks don't fully support the case and could result in a nasty blowout with hot loads.