Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G17L match grade barrel

mwx40x40

37 minutes ago, bowenbuilt said:

KKM has them on their website. I just purchased one and it is excellent.

Stupid me, found it now. First time I looked the menu bar just said 17. I assumed only std 17, clicked on it and found17L.

I have typically been content with factory Glock barrels, but this 17L is one of the least accurate Glocks I’ve shot.

What barrel you go with might ultimately depend on what weight bullet you intend to use - heavy or lighter. Sometimes the twist rate does make a difference in the accuracy of a given bullet and profile. BarSto uses a 1 in 16 twist rate. S3F uses a 1 in 10 twist rate in their 9 mm barrels - when I checked. KKM does not say for sure, but I think it is in the area of 1 in 16 or 1 in 18. One you did not name that I have had very good luck with is Jarvis in Montana. Jarvis makes their Glock barrels out of 4140 CM instead of stainless steel like the other 3 do and I think they are also a 1 in 16 twist. Briley is another option if you don't mind fitting the barrel hood, lower lug, and short chambered - stainless and 1 in 16 twist. Properly fitted, Briley yields very good results.

https://jarvis-custom.com/collections/barrels-1/products/glock-pistol-barrels

I have used all but S3F and all have far outperformed the shooter. ?

5 hours ago, Whitefish said:

What barrel you go with might ultimately depend on what weight bullet you intend to use - heavy or lighter. Sometimes the twist rate does make a difference in the accuracy of a given bullet and profile. BarSto uses a 1 in 16 twist rate. S3F uses a 1 in 10 twist rate in their 9 mm barrels - when I checked. KKM does not say for sure, but I think it is in the area of 1 in 16 or 1 in 18. One you did not name that I have had very good luck with is Jarvis in Montana. Jarvis makes their Glock barrels out of 4140 CM instead of stainless steel like the other 3 do and I think they are also a 1 in 16 twist. Briley is another option if you don't mind fitting the barrel hood, lower lug, and short chambered - stainless and 1 in 16 twist. Properly fitted, Briley yields very good results.

https://jarvis-custom.com/collections/barrels-1/products/glock-pistol-barrels

I have used all but S3F and all have far outperformed the shooter. ?

I typically load 147 blue bullets with WST. 

Thanks for the input, I see I have research to do.

Another thing to keep in mind is that BarSto barrels have a notoriously tight rifling leade ahead of the chamber somewhat limiting the bullet profiles and oal you can run without throating the barrel. This is good or bad depending on your point of view and choice of bullet. Some say that tight leade helps accuracy by engaging the bullet sooner, but I have had to throat every BarSto barrel I use in Glocks because of my bullet and OAL choices. On the bright side, throating has had no effect on accuracy, which has been excellent. BarSto calls their barrel semi drop-in, as they may require minor fitting (mostly on the hood and lower lug) because of the dimensions they hold. They also offer a gunsmith fit barrel which will definitely need fitting!

For what it is worth, I run mostly 125 gr Zero FMJ's in my minor Glocks, with my preference for the recoil impulse of the lighter bullets. I really don't think you can make a bad choice among BarSto, KKM, or Jarvis as all have given me good accuracy with the 125 bullets. KKM is probably going to be the best bang for your buck, as they are less expensive than BarSto, Jarvis, and Briley in the 17L barrel, give good results with most bullets, and are a no fuss drop-in (as is Jarvis). Just depends on what fits your needs the best!