Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Dillon 550 Upgrades do you have?

minnesota1

I have a 17 yr old or so 550.  I haven't reloaded for several years, but am getting back into competitive shooting and need to load ammo.  I have a 550 and a 650.  On the 550, what upgrades have you put on your machine that have worked as advertised?  I see a lot out there, but don't know what really works and what doesn't.  Let me know where you got it if you remember as well.

Thanks.

Edited by minnesota1

The dillon strong mount, bullet tray, and empty case / finished case bins are great. I have the dillon roller handle and the inline fabrication skylight as well which are nice. I do about 100 rounds per 10 minutes with this set up. I wouldn't want to use the press without the strong mount and trays / bins. 

Not really upgrades, but I use a shaving brush to keep things clean as I go and a little graphite on the sliding parts.

Edited by DesertTortoise

I have an older 550 also I don’t use the strong mount.. have it bolted directly to the bench and sit to load. I run the roller handle I got on eBay as a blemished but I can find no blemishes.  I added the roller bearing plate under the primer shuttle got it on eBay for ??$25.00?? .  The bearing is not really needed but the slick plate seemed to eliminate the primer feed issues I had for a while.  

Other than that that everything else is home made.  I took a plastic container with a wide opening that used to hold chewing gum and replaced the stock old primer catch cup and no more dead primers on the floor.  Use a plastic lid from a coffee can to hold Bullets and it sets on the bench close to the press on the left side.  On the right side a low tray holds empty brass.  I keep a heavy duty plastic bag and put a squirt or two of case lube in it then add brass and roll it around.  

Apparently you can upgrade the powder bar. I did not know that. From what I have read that is a big upgrade. Going to do that and put in an LED light system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, Stuey said:

Apparently you can upgrade the powder bar. I did not know that. From what I have read that is a big upgrade. Going to do that and put in an LED light system.

Where can you find an upgraded powder bar?

I have

An extended primer bar plate, the plain one, not the roller.

An Inline illuminator.

An Inline QD plate mount (not elevated.)

A brass MR Dial on the powder bar.  (There is a less expensive one that should work as well on ebay.)

A Uniquetek 3D printed plastic spent primer catcher with hose leading to a coffee can. 

A powder measure dipstick made out of a piece of cardboard and a plastic rod.  Free vs Dillon buzzer and it works as well because I look at the 1/4 gauge mark every time I fill the primer feed.

I hope Uniquetek restocks the powder mirror so I can see powder down in a .38 case. 

Edited by Jim Watson