Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 special - IDPA Enhanced Revolver load - N320 and 160gr bayou/cast ?

LifeisgoodSteve

Hi All,

Thanks in advance for any help.  I'm new to reloading and have done what seems like a lot of searching to try to find an N320 load with a 160 gr cast/bayou bullet which will get up to 1000fps.  

It'll be shot from a SW 686 4" and for fun out of a 3" K6s Kimber (.357).  

The higher velocity loads on the VV site for a LFN, 160gr omits the N320 powder option, though the max. loads for their N340 (5.8gr)  and N350 (6.1gr) powders show velocities of 1107 and 1077 respectively.

As I have 4lbs of N320 I'd much rather use what I have if I can safely do so.

Thanks,

Steve

There  is data for several 158s including a 158 SWC Extreme load. Max load velocity is 997fps.

Note that their test barrel is 6.5 inches.

To my mind the data for that  load implies that you would be at the very top end of the load range and probably above trying to get 1000fps with a 160 out of a 3 inch barrel.

From 3" to 6.5" is a big difference in barrel length.

It may be too fast for that application.

If you were an experienced reloader then that would be one thing but for a new reloader to start out at the top end (or above) of a recipe is not a good idea.

Edited: Rereading I see that the 3" barrel is for fun and I assume that means that the 4" barrel would be used for competition and chrono purposes. That is still a big difference in barrel length and doesn't diminish my concerns at all.

Edited by ddc
Additional thoughts

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I ended up picking up the N340 which makes a load I enjoy for IDPA enhanced revolver and USPSA Major.  Also paid a bit extra but found a 180gr hi-tek coated bullet from Missouri Bullet which allows for the higher pf at lower velocity.  

After testing from 3.5 - 3.9gr of the N340, here's what I ended up with:

Powder -     3.6gr N340

Bullet -       "Missouri Bullet .357 Striker" -   .358 diam., hi-tek coated

OAL-           1.455

Chrono:  12 shots

Avg. V       960.8

Std. Dev   11

Max V       973

Min V        941

Avg PF     172

Max PF    175

Min PF     169

Obviously for just IDPA enhanced you could go a little lower on the powder, but I didn't want to make a separate bullet for USPSA Major.  I'm focused on fun and training, so understand it's not competitive with a 6 shot in USPSA.  Super fun to shoot with a little heat, but still much more comfortable than a Magnum load.

Cheers,

Steve