Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Acme and N320 Loads

Jollymon32

So I am moving to coated bullets and have heard that coated bullets take less powder.  I need a starting point for my ladder tests.

I have sample packs of Acme 125 and 135 round nose bullets.

Powder will be N320.

Do you load this comobination?  If so, care to share the load data?

My standard 9mm load is a 135gr coated (BBI or Bayou) bullet over 3.5gr of N320 or Prima V. at an OAL of 1.080.  This gets me ~130PF from my CZ and Grand Power. 

Depending on the barrel your loads will be fired from, you could likely increase the OAL a bit, which in turn 'may' require more powder to hit 130PF.  I'd suggest making a few dummy rounds to confirm OAL and then starting low and working your way up to the PF/velocity you would like to target.

On 6/24/2018 at 6:53 AM, muncie21 said:

My standard 9mm load is a 135gr coated (BBI or Bayou) bullet over 3.5gr of N320 or Prima V. at an OAL of 1.080.  This gets me ~130PF from my CZ and Grand Power. 

Depending on the barrel your loads will be fired from, you could likely increase the OAL a bit, which in turn 'may' require more powder to hit 130PF.  I'd suggest making a few dummy rounds to confirm OAL and then starting low and working your way up to the PF/velocity you would like to target.

Good to know!  Thanks!

Any loads for 125gr coated bullet?  Is it generally more or less powder than a heavier bullet?

Thanks!

44 minutes ago, Jollymon32 said:

Good to know!  Thanks!

Any loads for 125gr coated bullet?  Is it generally more or less powder than a heavier bullet?

Thanks!

Heavier bullet less powder. 

My loads with N-320 are 147 gr RN plated bullet = 3.3 N-320 (1.085" OAL),     125 gr coated RN (1.10" OAL) = 3.9 N-320 and     115 gr coated RN (1.10" OAL) = 4.3 N-320.  

I run these in a 16" barrel for a PF in the mid-140's.

Edited by Flatland Shooter