Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone Familiar With Front End Loaders?

John,

I am not familiar with the brand you mention....

Have dealt with, Knight, Thompson, Remington(Mine).

All 3 are good quality guns, my 700mls (muzzle loader Stainless) is about 10 years old now and still will keep a 240 grn Hornady .44 bullet in a skoal can at 100 yds.

Price is an issue with muzzle loaders, you can spend as much as you want so just have fun with it.

good luck, see you in September.

SAM

The A&H brand used to be top of the line stuff from what I've heard. While I only own a traditional cap-lock, I have shot many inlines that friends own. Last season a friend showed up with a new T/C Omega that really impressed me. It shot about as good as we could see with iron sights. Also, the falling-block breech design on the Omega makes inserting and removing 209 primers easier than other designs.

Let me issue a safety warning to everybody out there about the three 50gr. Pyrodex pellet loads that are so popular now. Make sure the gunmaker has tested and recommends the 150gr. load!! You will find that some foreign manufacturers will stamp "Magnum. 3-pellets okay" on the box. Alot of people have checked into this and found that whatever proofing they did was way less than a 150gr. charge pressure!

Another point of concern is the breech plug. Make sure that the one you buy is threaded and removable. My point here is not only for cleaning. Ten years ago I saw a man's face after he had an imported inline blow out a breech plug on him. It was press fitted. No threads. He almost lost an eye.