Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Transition Times

Sac Law Man

I am seeking some clarification and advice.

I have been working on transitions lately... What I have noticed is when shooting an El Prez for example, but instead of 2 shots to each, when I shoot 3 shots to each target my transition times are faster, around .29-.30. However, when I shoot a standard El Prez (2 shots each) my transition times are around .36-.40.. Why are they faster when I fire one more round into the target?

Is it because my vision has had more time to focus resulting in better followthrough due to the extra round being fired.

Does anyone else experience this? When firing the three rounds to each target, my focus is really good and so is my followthrough. What can I do to experience this while firing only 2 shots to each target?

Thanks

It sounds like you might be double tapping when you do two shots instead of two controlled shots. When you are aware of the second shot, the transitions take less time, when you double tap it you hesitate getting to the next target, taking more time.

Pat, when shooting three shots my splits were around .20-.22.. I think when firing 2 shots they were around .18..

Short_round, I am not sure what my transitions are when firing one shot on each...I'll check on Friday..

By the way, the distance was from 10 yards, targets were 2 yards apart.

Loves2shoot..your answer is good, I think that might be happening..

When I get out to the range on Friday I'll make better note of split and transition times shooting one to three shots..

I agree with L2s, you are double tapping the targets, in doing so you are 'locking' on the target then having to break the lock and transition and lock on that one (by lock I'm refering to a physical feel of tightening the body up to hammer two shots)

If you do the math, with slower splits on target (.20 - .22) and faster transitions (.29 - .30) your run is faster than .18 splits with .36 to .40 transitions.

Try singles on target and try putting a dot (about 4" dia, like a Bianchi X ring) in the center of the A zone when shooting two. Instead of hammering two on the target, try to get them as close to the 4" dot as possible, it will give you the 'feel' for placing two aimed shots on the target.

Don't make your splits any slower (if you are seeing what you need to see of course) just transition faster. It's obvious you can since you have done it. My recommendation is stop trying to disect every detail and just drive the damn gun.

You will see a difference.

I was at the range today. I was doing 2 and 2 on two targets. Hamering each target did give slower transitions.

But what was kind of cool was I realized I had the best time if I did a controlled pair on the first target AND THEN hammer the last target. I was getting the faster transition and also got a slight edge since the very last split was faster.

I mean logically controlled pairs that are then ended by a hammer should give you the fastest time.

I gotta try it again during the next session to see if it wasn't a fluke. Next time I'll use three targets.

I'm gonna also try to see if double tapping also affects my reload. Maybe that "locking" effect is affecting my reloads as well.