Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ETS Mags with TF Basepads

Long story short.  My USPSA PCC won't feed Glock 33 round magazines.  It's a mystery.  Even the Manufacturer can't figure it out.  ETS mags work fine in that PCC as do regular 17 round glock magazines.  So here's my question:

Has anyone got the Taylor Freelance PCC +10 Basepads to work with ETS Mags?  I can only get 35 rounds into the magazine.  I've looked at several videos, but i can't find anything definitive on it.  Plan B is to get a MBX mini.  

Pictures are worth a thousand words.  pictures would definitely help!

I'm using ETS mags with my MBX Mega extensions without any issues, unless they get full of sand anyways.  They hang a little when I load them, I think right about the 33-36 round mark, and I usually just give it a little smack on the table and then I'm able to get them loaded the rest of the way without any issues.  I haven't tried the ETS tubes with my TF +10's yet, they're on Glock 31rd tubes, but I would just make sure that the follower isn't hanging up somewhere as it transitions into the extension.  

34 minutes ago, 1981Shooter said:

I'm using ETS mags with my MBX Mega extensions without any issues, unless they get full of sand anyways.  They hang a little when I load them, I think right about the 33-36 round mark, and I usually just give it a little smack on the table and then I'm able to get them loaded the rest of the way without any issues.  I haven't tried the ETS tubes with my TF +10's yet, they're on Glock 31rd tubes, but I would just make sure that the follower isn't hanging up somewhere as it transitions into the extension.  

From my research, I believe its the follower.  I'm trying to find someone who already made the necessary modifications.

I just went through this issue.  The follower is getting hung up on the basepad, which is smaller in diameter than the inside of the ETS mag.  You'll have to file down the basepad to eliminate the step the follower is hanging up on.  It's about an hour's work, but you'll have 41+1.

Also, with your 33rd mags, I had fits trying to get mine to work.  Mine would go salt shaker with and without extensions.  The problem lies with your ammo.  These mags, especially with extensions, are very sensitive to OAL.  The sweet spot with my ammo was 1.135".  

4 hours ago, mmlook said:

You need to file the back side(long side) of the follower so it doesn't catch the extension.

Don't need to touch the extension, unless there's a bur.

See below

The TF basepads were not designed for the ETS mags.  There is a significant amount of material blocking follower travel.  Simply modifying the rear of the follower is insufficient with this combo.

20 hours ago, CalTeacher said:

I just went through this issue.  The follower is getting hung up on the basepad, which is smaller in diameter than the inside of the ETS mag.  You'll have to file down the basepad to eliminate the step the follower is hanging up on.  It's about an hour's work, but you'll have 41+1.

Also, with your 33rd mags, I had fits trying to get mine to work.  Mine would go salt shaker with and without extensions.  The problem lies with your ammo.  These mags, especially with extensions, are very sensitive to OAL.  The sweet spot with my ammo was 1.135".  

Can you give me more direction?  What exactly am I filing down?

5 hours ago, CalTeacher said:

Do the same on the rear where the follower will hang up on it’s downward travel as it leaves the magazine tube and enters the extension.

Thanks, I'll pull out the dremel and see what i can do.

On 6/11/2018 at 6:31 AM, CalTeacher said:

The TF basepads were not designed for the ETS mags.  There is a significant amount of material blocking follower travel.  Simply modifying the rear of the follower is insufficient with this combo.

I’m sure there’s variations between mags, followers and extensions.  

I’m currently running an ETS mag with a TF +10 extension. Have about 1000 rounds through it without problems.

No mods were made to the extension, only the follower. 

Reason I would advise against modifying the extensions, if it’s not needed.  

the extension with oxidize if you expose the bare aluminum.  

I have the MBX extensions as well.  They don’t require any modifications.  You may, however, need to modify your mags and followers slightly.  They have a video on the website that shows exactly what to do.  Super easy

34 minutes ago, CalTeacher said:

I have the MBX extensions as well.  They don’t require any modifications.  You may, however, need to modify your mags and followers slightly.  They have a video on the website that shows exactly what to do.  Super easy

Thank you.  I watched it before I ordered the extensions.

The only issue I had with MBX minis and ETS mags was the follower hanging up while loading, right about where it crosses into the extension.  I rounded off the edges of the follower all around and, while they still hang up a little, I can push past that point and they run great.

^^This right here! You can do your second one in 15 mins with a dremel, after you’ve spent an hour learning where to grind on your first!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk