Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brass Shavings

al503

From the advice of some of you guys, I got a EGW undersize (40 S&W) die to help deal with glocked brass. I tried it out for the first time yesterday and I noticed the tiniest shavings on the casings and shell plate.

I never had this issue before using the Dillon size/decap die and everything else on the press is the same.

Questions:

1. Anyone else using this die notice the same?

2. I don't like the idea of any kind of metal shavings (whether it's soft brass or not) being introduced to the press. Should I be worried about this?

3. Did I just get a defective die?

BTW, I'm using once fired rem brass, not new.

Hmmmm...that sounds a lot like the shavings you get from the bullet...for not having enough belling on the case when it comes out of the powder die?

- that is a setting that can shift a bit on it's own

- or, your shell plate may not be traveling quite as far as it used to now that you have the new die in station 1...could be slightly different.

I'd suspect the belling.

Hmmmm...that sounds a lot like the shavings you get from the bullet...for not having enough belling on the case when it comes out of the powder die?

-  that is a setting that can shift a bit on it's own

-  or, your shell plate may not be traveling quite as far as it used to now that you have the new die in station 1...could be slightly different.

I'd suspect the belling.

Thanks, Flex. I can see the shavings on the lip of the case before I place the bullet on so it's probably not the belling.

If worse comes to worse, I can just go back to the dillon. I definitely don't want the shavings getting in the nooks and crannies.

After you've run a case through the EGW pull it out and look at it. Use a case that has not been polished and only wiped down to get the grit off.

If the die is scraping off brass you should be able to see shiny spots on the case. Are they on the inside or outside? Where are the shavings on the case, inside or outside?

I had a 223 die that scraped shavings from the very bottom of the case. I scratched my head on the one for quite awhile. Turns out the new shell holder I had bought was crooked and kind of held the case at an angle as it entered the die.

After you've run a case through the EGW pull it out and look at it. Use a case that has not been polished and only wiped down to get the grit off.

If the die is scraping off brass you should be able to see shiny spots on the case. Are they on the inside or outside? Where are the shavings on the case, inside or outside?

I had a 223 die that scraped shavings from the very bottom of the case. I scratched my head on the one for quite awhile. Turns out the new shell holder I had bought was crooked and kind of held the case at an angle as it entered the die.

I notice that the brass is either on the shellplate or still on the lip of the brass before I place a bullet on it. I'll try the 'dirty' case thing. Great idea.