Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Henning XL firing pin issue in Stock II

Installed a Henning XL firing pin in my StockII and am getting an audible "click" in the pre take up in double action mode. The click seems to be coming from something under the rear site. You can see the protruding piece move when looking between the slide and rear site from the gun's profile. Replaced with the factory firing pin and the issue is gone.

Any ideas?

thanks,

RRR

After trouble shooting, Here is what I sent to Henning to see his thoughts...

I swapped the XL firing pin back into my Stock II with the factory firing pin spring. It no longer made the click from the fpbs jumping up. Then I installed the XL with the reduced power firing pin spring, and again it would click from the fpbs jumping up.

What it looks like is happening is that the factory spring has enough pressure to push the firing pin fully out the back, holding the hammer slightly off the slide. The reduced power firing pin spring does not and the hammer lays flat against the back of the slide holding the firing pin in slightly. In that position the fpbs must be held in the down position and when the trigger is moved slightly back, it then releases up.

RRR

Edited by Rockriverrenegade

The reason I tried the new firing pin was that with the lighter hammer spring I was getting light strikes. I was told by others to try the Henning firing pin, but was still getting light strikes. Found the light firing pin spring and went back to the factory firing pin. I will see if that solves the problem. I'm thinking it will. 

RRR

Edited by Rockriverrenegade

I have three Hennng firing pins, 2 S2s and a Limited, they all work perfect (smooth with no click). I did polish them so maybe yours isn’t as smooth as you would like. 

On the S2s I have installed the Titan Hammer and Extreme sear from PD which required the extended FPB (from PD) to make it function with the sear. The Limited has the Henning prepped sear and does not require (nor will it activate it) the FPB, so it has been removed. 

BTW the slightly longer FP makes the primer strikes a bit more reliable with reduced power hammer springs. I have run 11 lb springs with reliable strikes on WSP and Federal primers. Currently running 14.5 pound spring with About 2.5 lb SA and 6.5 DA.

Search for the polishing threads here on BE.