Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good starting place for a project? 75b, 75 pre-b, SP-01 (non tactical), Compact ?

lfine

Would like to pick up one of these roughly $500 or so guns to modify and learn on and improve. What's the best starting point in your opinions?

I know the pre-B won't have the firing pin block but are parts availability an issue? Plenty of 75Bs out there, less SP-01 where I live, but would  the SP-01 be the best of those three? (I'm pretty sure people would say the tactical would not be as good, correct?)

And I throw the Compact in there (non-decocker) just for curiosity - would be nice to have in addition to above, but is it easy to improve?

Thanks for any advice. Looking to do this fairly soon.

I'm a fan of the SP01. That heavy dust cover works great for recoil control. The guts are the same across the non decock, omega systems.
The SAO is a good one to work on too.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The internal parts are generally all the same (except Omegas and the TS framed guns). But you can't convert from a decocker to a safety model unless you have the Omega trigger system.

There are some minor differences in frames: Single Actions and SP-O1s have an upswept beavertail. SP-O1 frame has a railed dust cover for a bit more weight out front which is the current fashion.

Shadows, Pre-B's, and Combats do not have a firing pin block which lets you tune the single action reset moderately shorter.

Pre-B's have slightly narrower mag tunnels which can prevent the MecGar mags from falling free. Pre-B era mags and the 18-round SPO1 mags reportedly don't have this issue in those frames though.  Pre-B's also have poor sights and you'd likely want to change them.

My first USPSA gun was a Pre-B which I had tuned up with better sights before the SP01 came out. It worked fine and I wish I still had it.

eta: I would ask if any of your local shooters have a back-up pistol laying around. You might get some nice additions at a discount.

Edited by belus

So skip the B's and the Tactical. I'd be staying with DA/SA.  Maybe a transitional 75 for the right price. Saw a very nice 1987 75 (Made in Czechoslovakia) but the sights can't easily be changed out.  

And the compacts?

Seems like the Sp-01 is the best place to start?