Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Homemade Loading Blocks: Advice, Pics, Etc.?

jkrispies

Summer is approaching, and I'm thinking that a homemade loading block might be a healthy weekend project.  They seem pretty simple, but I'm hoping that folks who have already made some of their own can share lessons learned.  For instance, material used (ie, solid wood vs. plywood, or possibly even a plastic cutting board), recommended thickness of the plank, depth of the drilled holes, that sort of thing.  Photos are always appreciated.  Thanks, J

33 minutes ago, RevolverJockey said:

The easiest way will be to have a second board so you can drill all the way through wish it splitting or making a raged hole. Then simply glue a thing board to make flat bottom holes. 

Lee

Good plan.  Thanks!

I would use a brad point bit. The hole depth depends on how tall the cases are. You need enough sticking up to easily get hold of to get them out. Set the depth stop on your drill press and they will all be exactly the same depth. I would use Delrin or Acetal to make the block out of. It cuts cleanly, no splinters, chemical resistant, etc. For wood, use a close grain hardwood.

10 hours ago, Toolguy said:

I would use a brad point bit. The hole depth depends on how tall the cases are. You need enough sticking up to easily get hold of to get them out. Set the depth stop on your drill press and they will all be exactly the same depth. I would use Delrin or Acetal to make the block out of. It cuts cleanly, no splinters, chemical resistant, etc. For wood, use a close grain hardwood.

I was thinking delrin too.  Probably wood for some test runs and/or jigs, then do the final product in delrin.