Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New S&W PC 686 plus

J_Allen

So I just saw one of these in the store yesterday: https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/performance-center-model-686-plus-0

I didn’t quite get it. Sure it looks cool and all, but why not just replace the front sight and add an aftermarket cylinder release to a 627? Is there any competition where a moon clipped 7 shooter would be desired? Admittedly, I’m kind of new to competition shooting, but I don’t see the market. Smaller hands where the N-frame is too big? Am I missing something here?

Thanks, that’s what I thought. I’m going to be shooting my 625 again this year (2nd year USPSA), but am looking around for a possible new gun. Saw that the PC 686 plus was marketed towards “competition”, but didn’t really understand the niche. If shooting minor I’d want 8 rounds. If I was looking for home defense I sure wouldn’t be using the orange front blade. I guess it could always serve the purpose of fun range gun (i.e. you don’t always have to have a reason for wanting a new gun). Just surprised S&W is making such a combo. I could see the 4” PC 686 (similar configuration, but only 6 shots), for if you wanted to use speed loaders in IDPA, but wanted to have the option of moon clips. But why not spec out a 627 like this instead?

EDIT: I just realized the extended cylinder release would be illegal in IDPA, so the 4 inch gun doesn’t make sense either (other than “just because”).

Edited by J_Allen

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 11:47 AM, J_Allen said:

Thanks, that’s what I thought. I’m going to be shooting my 625 again this year (2nd year USPSA), but am looking around for a possible new gun. Saw that the PC 686 plus was marketed towards “competition”, but didn’t really understand the niche. If shooting minor I’d want 8 rounds. If I was looking for home defense I sure wouldn’t be using the orange front blade. I guess it could always serve the purpose of fun range gun (i.e. you don’t always have to have a reason for wanting a new gun). Just surprised S&W is making such a combo. I could see the 4” PC 686 (similar configuration, but only 6 shots), for if you wanted to use speed loaders in IDPA, but wanted to have the option of moon clips. But why not spec out a 627 like this instead?

EDIT: I just realized the extended cylinder release would be illegal in IDPA, so the 4 inch gun doesn’t make sense either (other than “just because”).

For IDPA the 625 with 4" barrel shooting Major is the way to go.  For USPSA an 8 shot shooting minor is what you probably want. You will need to keep that gun iron sight to remain in revolver division. For revolver shooters wanting to shoot most if not all divisions in IDPA, USPSA, Steel Challenge and ICORE your collection will need to be 3 or 4 competition revolvers at a minimum. This is not an inexpensive hobby!

When I started shooting revolvers, I had less than 1 year of handgun shooting experience and all of that was IDPA in SSP. Not to speak ill of our IDPA Brethren but me and IDPA are not a good fit. I wanted to get a revolver so I decided to get a 686 that is IDPA legal so 6 shot 4" barrel 38 spl with speed loaders because I don't think moons were legal then in  IDPA, this was 2015.

When I started shooting my revo, several friends at my club convinced me to try shooting "outlaw" steel matches. I struggled with a 6 shot speed loader gun for a year then got an 8 shoot gun for the following year. Currently I have (2) two 929s, one is iron sight the other is optic. So at this point I have decided to cut IDPA out of my life and concentrate on SCSA and outlaw steel matches and ICORE and USPSA both of those to a lesser extent. I don't have the time to practice and shoot a lot of ICORE or USPSA. My original 686 cut for moons is going to be used on occasion to shoot ICORE Limited 6 or Classic. I would like to get a 617 rimfire to add to the collection but not now as my budget is way over the top, I need to spend some bux replenishing my supply of Federal SP primers and a few ancillary items I want but don't really need. This is after all (for me at least) recreation, I'm not a shooter of note just someone out to have a pleasant fun day shooting. But all the same I have seen improvement here and there which is what I think you are looking for. For me the small improvements I've achieved has been a long slow climb. It's not an easy gun.

I agree the new 7 shot makes no real sense but I have a friend that bought one to shoot steel, why, I don't know. He has several 8 shots revos to use I guess he wants a challenge.

Edited by firewood