Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry optics glock 17 slide weights

MRindecisive

New guy to USPSA here, I'm planning on shooting CO with a Glock 17. With the new rules this year, I've been throwing around the idea of adding some slide cuts/slide ports to my CO 17 in order to increase the speed. I will be using a 13lb recoil spring and shooting ammo right around 130pf too.

For those of you that have experience with slide cuts do you think they are worth it? how does it affect the recoil impulse? would I be better off without them? 

just for gee'wiz I'm look at the primary machine ucc, ucc 2, ucc 3 cuts 

ucc has no cuts, the ucc 2 has a cut on the top of the slide. and the ucc 3 has cuts on the top and side of the slide.

UCCV3side1final__25561.1495577514.jpg

UCCV1side1final__48495.1495576837.png

UCCV3topfinal__03815.1495577540.png.jp2

UCCV3topfinal__03815.1495577540.png.jp2

Edited by MRindecisive

Slide lightening can help, but once done it can't be used for Production anymore.

Also when it is lightened you will have to increase recoil spring weight as there is always a balance that needs to be met.

Usually it is done to help balance an open gun with a compensator as that adds to the reciprocating mass.

It is also used on 6' limited guns to keep them balanced more like a 5".

It will make the recoil impulse quicker some like that and some don't.  With a poly framed CO pistol you may like more weight not less.

The allowance for the cuts in CO is meant more to allow the steel framed pistols compete.

But they do look cool especially if you have a colored barrel to show off.

I’m running a G34 with the Primary Machine ucc v1 cut, which is essentially the v2 on a G17.  With the vortex venom mounted the slide is 2oz lighter than the factory slide.  With a jager guide rod with 13lb spring, this gun tracks better than any other Glock I have.

i don’t think it will really matter which cut you go with, just pick the one you like the best.