Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Second Experience With A Chrono.

I shot some 9mm rounds through the chrono the other day.

All Winchester brass and primers.

William Sales 147 gr LTC over 4.7 grs of Vita Vhouri N 330. OAL is 1.148"

I got an AV = 1192 fps

ES = 46

SD = 14

and an average Power Factor = 175.2!

Oops! I don't need something with that much muscle for IDPA's 125 PF.

Did notice the Taurus PT 99 with alloy frame did recoil a little bit more with a little more muzzle flip. It was a little louder too.

Guess I could reduce the charge a bit

(Now removing tongue from cheek.)

Does my SD look OK?

What is a better combination to meet or barely exceed the 125 Power Floor for 9mm, heavier bullet putt putting along or a lighter bullet zipping along with respect to recoil, muzzle flip, getting sights back on target?

Thanks,

Chills

From my old Speer manual and from the 9mm load book Dillon put out.

This should go with out saying, but yep I think I'm gonna get thet latest VV booklet when I see the VV guy. Also gonna get the latest Speer manual.

On the bright side, though, I only made 50 rounds of this combination, AND my gun didn't blow up.

I feel like an idiot now.......

Chills

Don't feel bad Chills - you followed a book load that you found in 2 different books (that is more caution than most reloaders use) & though its always good to work up, it looks like no harm done.

You wrote: "What is a better combination to meet or barely exceed the 125 Power Floor for 9mm, heavier bullet putt putting along or a lighter bullet zipping along with respect to recoil, muzzle flip, getting sights back on target?"

Most of the general population of shooters in USPSA prefer 147s; at one time Sevigny used Triton 135 grn loading (Zero bullets maybe) though I am not sure what he uses now. Will be interesting to see the Nationals survey results but safe to say that 147s a re great for Production.

You have a good bullet & N330 is great for use in 9mm - particularly with Lead bullets as it burns cooler than say, Titegroup, & therefore should produce a little less smoke. Just back the charge down until you get to 875 to 900 FPS.

D.

What is a better combination to meet or barely exceed the 125 Power Floor for 9mm, heavier bullet putt putting along or a lighter bullet zipping along with respect to recoil, muzzle flip, getting sights back on target?

Thanks,

Chills

I generally prefer a heavy bullet fast powder combo, and a 9mm is no exception. You'll like it a lot more if you get some lighter springs - the slide will work faster and you'll feel even less recoil.

I'm in the minority on this I suppose but I like the lighter bullets.

My preference is for 124/125 gr bullets with N320. I just like the feel and teh accuracy.

I shoot a STI widebody, standard frame & classic slide, bushing barrel.

For me, the 9mm minor loads are so light anyway that tring to find something the load that is "the lightest" is like deciding between 3 super models which one is the best looking. You can't go wrong.