Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip After Reload

JD45

Since I'm dry-firing more these days, I want to practice the right way. When I hit the mag release I have to break my grip. I want to know the exact point to return to a locked-in strong hand grip. On Leatham's old video, he says that your grip returns while your hand gets the mag. Things are happening so fast I can't get this to work for me.

So far, seating the mag seems to be the point where my grip returns. But the shot after the reload is difficult because my grip is not the same as it is from the draw.

This eats a lot of time for me. I would like to know how all of you return to your original grip and index.

honestly, i hit the mag release w/the middle finger of my right hand; i don't break my grip, per se as i only have to move the tip of the finger slightly to hit the release.

haven't seen any other shooters doing this, but it's always worked for me. (long fingers, bony hands)

ymmv.

:)

honestly, i hit the mag release w/the middle finger of my right hand; i don't break my grip, per se as i only have to move the tip of the finger slightly to hit the release. 

haven't seen any other shooters doing this, but it's always worked for me.  (long fingers, bony hands)

I've been doing this for years. I read about in a tip in GunGames by Merle Edington. I have small stubby fingers. On the Para it works fine. It kind of helps if you relieve it the trigger guard on the plastic guns (SV/TI and Glock).

I'll try to describe what I do.

Go for mag release as soon as weak hand goes for mag, I happen to reaquire grip when the weak hand is on the way to insert new mag in; it happens around the same time I cant the gun to line it up with the incoming reload. That is, I've incorpored the re-gripping with the gun canting, so I almost don't notice it. The only nuance is that if I'm "inspired", I cant the gun before the old mag exits, so I end up "launching" it to the side.

A bit more detail on the re-grip.

When I push the mag release, my thumb immediately goes to the thumb safety, I've found that gives me an anchor point to re establish my grip; when the new mag is inserted and my weak hand moves to re grip, I then move my thumb out of the way, not upwards, but to the side.

This is what I found gives me consistent, somewhat smooth (still working on it), fast reloads on my particular gun.

Hope it helped.

EDIT: Oh, and L2S, those are cool videos. ;)

I do what RS and BB do: if your anatomy allows it, it makes regripping the gun after the mag release a complete nonissue.

If you anatomy doesn't allow it, I should think that you'd want to have the reacquiring of the grip done before the mag goes in, so that nothing will shift further on seating the mag. My firing grip is the most solid hold I can get on the gun, and my index on the next target requires that the grip be consistent. If you don't have a solid grip on the gun as the mag seats, the grip will probably shift, perhaps variably, making getting back to your firing grip that much more difficult.

My .02 ;)

Kevin C.