Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Labradar with PCC

I went to chrono some new loads.  QC10 receiver set with QC10 14.5" barrel and everything else Taccom.  

Loads were 124 RN Acme loaded to 1.104.  

First set was with 3.2 TG with 5 shot average of 1102 fps.  Max 1116 and min 1069.  

Second set was with 3.1 TG with 5 shots average 1071.  Max 1088 and min 1052.  

I went right after lunch so did not have a lot of time.  Bench rest so no dot movement data.  Wasted several rounds trying to figure out where to put the muzzle so that the blast could trigger the radar.  Had to get it pretty much right next to the radar to trigger the unit.  The last 3 rounds, I recieve an error message.  And the last two rounds showed velocities of 984 and 917.  Can't figure out why and I had to get back to work.  Send an email to Labradar and hopefully there is a fix for the unit.  I have never had this issue with rife and handgun load testing.

Wanted to know if anyone has ever experience this sort of malfunction.  

Thanks

Dan

I've tested most of my guns with a LabRadar unit that my local shop rents out and I haven't experienced that kind of issue.  The only problem I've seen is that the first shot of a new string on every firearm registers way low.  I tested this against traditional chronographs and haven't seen the FPS drop that I saw on the LabRadar, so I just kind of toss out the first shot when I use it.

had the same issue when Roy T brought his Lab Radar to chrono my PCC ... the muzzle needed to almost be behind the unit... my supposition was that the side blast of the Miculek style comp was being picked up

Edited by Les Snyder

Indoor or short range? If so make sure you set the max distance to 10yds (or so) shorter than the max range.

I put unit right next to (3-6 inches) and just in front (2ish inches) of muzzle. It sometimes is finicky with compensators or brakes but this usually works well.

Try to aim the unit as precisely as possible, I use a ball point pen that I have removed the guts from, place it in the sighting groove on top of the unit. The theory is that noise from comps is not the problem but placement of the muzzle is. I have had my hands on one for some time and if the aiming points are off by even a small bit you can have issues. I have had success at over 100 yds with a long gun and problems with a pistol at 10 since the unit reads at the muzzle and increments of 10. I would say it is voodoo but the conditions of your setup is critical. If you are still having issues I can provide you with all the mistakes I have already made and you don't have to repeat them.