Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Safe Areas At The Nationals

Carlos

Returned from Barry this past week & had a GREAT time shooting the Limited/Production/Revolver Nationals. I shot Limited.

On the 1st day of the Nationals, I encountered a shooter in the safe area who pointed to the loaded magazines on my belt & politely said to me "no ammo in the safe area." He was curteous & obviously well meaning. I thanked him & pointed out that ammunition and loaded magazines ARE allowed in the safe area. What is prohibited is the handling of ammunition or loaded magazines. Several other shooters confirmed this & it was not big deal.

Rule 2.4.2 states: " . . .loaded magazines, loaded speed loading devices and live rounds may not be handled in a safe area under any circumstances."

On a similar note, Stage 13 began with an unloaded gun so I went to the safe area to practice loading magazines into my gun & racking the slide, then taking a sight picture & dry firing. Nothing was said to me this time, but after I started practicing loading empty magazines into my gun, I noticed the shocked look on the face of a fellow competitor who immediatly left the safe area and went straight to an RO where a discussion & some finger pointing (in my direction) ensued. What was said? Who knows? But I have some idea.

The language in the rule book seems to have confused some people. Put another way, the rule book states:

You may load magazines into your gun in the Safe Area provided the magazines are empty.

The actual rule is 2.4.1.3: [use safe areas for] "Practice the insertion and removal of empty magazines . . ."

This same issue came up at the Area 8 Championship this year where I was told by an RO: "you can't load empty mags into your gun in the safe area" The stage CRO agreed until they checked the rulebook. Again, these ROs were curteous & were just doing their (volunteer) jobs; I appreciate the volunteers who make our sport possible. And I understand that not all clubs follow the rules & I can respect local custom at other clubs if they are uncomfortable seeing people practice empty mag changes in the safe area. However, at the Nationals & Area Championships, I will follow the current edition of the rulebook. Not a big deal, but rather, one that has come up agan and again. Regards,

D.C. Johnson

On a similar note, Stage 13 began with an unloaded gun so I went to the safe area to practice loading magazines into my gun & racking the slide, then taking a sight picture & dry firing.
the best part though was when carlos came up to the line on stage 13 with ONLY his empty practice mag. :lol::lol::lol: whoops!

"the best part though was when carlos came up to the line on stage 13 with ONLY his empty practice mag. whoops!"

Guilty as charged (really was comical in hindsight); my stage 13 (a static speed shoot) included coming to the line to shoot & then a mad dash back to the golf cart to retrieve the loaded mags out of my range bag! :lol: Not the recommended proceedure.

On a similar note, Stage 13 began with an unloaded gun so I went to the safe area to practice loading magazines into my gun & racking the slide, then taking a sight picture & dry firing.  Nothing was said to me this time, but after I started practicing loading empty magazines into my gun, I noticed the shocked look on the face of a fellow competitor who immediatly left the safe area and went straight to an RO where a discussion & some finger pointing (in my direction) ensued. What was said? Who knows? But I have some idea.

Carlos,

First, glad you enjoyed the match, and thanks for 'sweatin it out' with the rest of us. ;)

Second, while I am not 100% sure that it was this exact situation, I did receive a question during the match about whether it was okay to 'practice reloads with an empty magazine' in the safe area. While I do not recall who asked the question, I do remember telling them that there was no problem practicing reloads with empty magazines, and they went on their way.

Anyway, sorry if there was confusion on this issue.

Brian Hanna - CRO Stage 12