Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Advise On Open Gun

b.b.bang

Newbie looking for advise for my first open gun. Shoot some limited ispc several years ago. Want to try open now in North Texas area. Was looking at Brazos Pro sx on webb and heard good things about Benny Hill guns. What are most people shooting in the North Texas Area? What is difference between 38 super and 38 super comp?

THanks

Use the search function on the board. Both topics have been discussed to death :) Both Bob Londrigan (Brazos) and Benny Hill (Triangle Shooting Sports) are considered exceptional gunsmiths by their customers on this forum. You'll find there are several other very well regarded gunsmiths that are worth considering, as well, some of whom contribute here, too....

Open (The Darkside) is a blast. There are many great smiths out there that do great work. I have a new Bedell open gun and so far its sweet. The only difference between 38 super and comp is that the comp is rimless so it sets in the magazine straight and it costs just a little bit more than super. If you are going to start out with a new open and don't already have a big supply of super or comp brass, then you might want to consider 9mm major the brass is so cheap its almost free. I had so much super brass that I just stayed with what I had and besides the brass isnt that big of a cost to me anyway. Go to matches and see what the other people are shooting and belive me most will let you try there stuff out to see what you want to get.

Man 8-10 years ago there were at least 6 clubs in the DFW area that shot IPSC. Not very many now. From what I hear most of the shooters go to Waco or Doubletap to shoot. Really went downhill after the Dallas gun Club incident.