Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hammer dropping when saftey disengaged

Recently I acquired a 9mm iron sight upper for my old 9x21 open P9 world cup. Tonight I started fitting the new slide as it wasnt even close to fitting on. While playing the filing/stoning/dykem application/ wrestling slide back off and repeat game I noticed my hammer falling without touching the trigger particularly when saftey is disengaged hard! 

Can the safety "over rotate" if the detents aren't doing there job? 

Any suggestions as to what to look for before I resort to sending it of to a pistol smith? Any suggetions on smith's if it comes to that?

If you have a yvapari sear tool, probably misspelled,  you can pin the hammer and sear on it and look through the built in magnifier to check the sear and hammer hook engagement and verify the angels match up.  Also would be a good time to replace all the pins.  Worn sear/hammer engagement could be the culprit with a high round count.  I had a friend who shot a 38 super through the knee in a match getting out of the holster and disengaging the safety with that very thing.

Gun is a small frame SpringfieldArmory early 90's imported P9, barrel from the new upper measures 13.97 mm so I am confident that the slide is in fact a small frame slide (besides the fact that the gentleman who sold it to me knows a lot more about Tanfo's than me). Pretty sure the slide fitment is unrelated, just production tolerances stacking in the wrong direction, micrometer and pin gauges indicated that slide would not go on frame without removing metal, in retrospect maybe I should have done it on my surface grinder but I didnt feel like it at the time , a little more dykem and stoning  and the slide will be a nonissue

No yapivi sear jig....

What parts are the general consensus to try and replace to make the problem go away? Hammer, sear, saftey and pins?

Replace them all, but you can buy the sear jig at brownells for a little under $200.  There are cheaper ones out there but this is the only one that allows you to pin the sear and hammer to the jig just like they are in the frame.   This way you get a perfect fit.  And it is spelled yavapai.  

1 hour ago, jesseskinner said:

What parts are the general consensus to try and replace to make the problem go away? Hammer, sear, saftey and pins?

Pins, sear cage first. Then sear / safety.

Obviously, let inspection guide you.