Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vv N310 Load Questions

AustinMike

I've been shooting Clays for a while and have been thinking of trying VV N310 to see if the grass really is greener. I spent some time searching (really!) through the forum here and noticed that the load data for N310 with 230gr. bullets seems to be close to the VV load guide, but loads posted for 200gr. bullets seem WAY hot. Looks like a common load is ~4.5gr. under 200gr SWC. The VV load guide I have (Jan. 2004 pamphlet) lists a min.\max. range of 3.7-4.0gr. for a 200gr. LSWC! That's not a lot of room to play in and it seems like quite a few folks are passing the max. considerably! :wacko:

Is N310 and 200gr. bullets really pushing the limit that much to make major? I've just got in a shipment of Precision coated bullets in 200gr. and 230gr. RFP. Any suggestions on good starting points, particularly for 200gr. lead, to make major with a 5" 1911 Limited 10 gun?

Start w/ the book loads :) Remember, man - guns differ. The loads you see discussed on the forums apply to those folks' guns, and should only be taken as examples, etc.

Both the N310 loads for 200 LSWC and 230 FMJ make Major, even just barely at the min load. Start around there, and work up, once you're able to bum a chrono :)

VV310 is a great powder in the .45acp. Just use the loading manual and chrono. In my .45s I run 4.6gr with a 200swc for a 173 PF. All barrels are different. The Powder with 230s is accurate and soft as well! Give it a try. DougC

I keep trying to convince Mike that the best start loads for any fast powder are arrived at by dipping the case into the powder and brushing the excess off the top..... he's not buying it.....

uh.... that's a joke, for all those in-duh-viduals out there :):lol:

I keep trying to convince Mike that the best start loads for any fast powder are arrived at by dipping the case into the powder and brushing the excess off the top..... he's not buying it.....

Dipping a case...please! Everybody knows a soup ladle is the fastest way to dispense powder into a .45 case! :P

Just kiddin', of course!!!!!!!

True story - rifle not handgun. Old boy and military surplus 4831 and 243 win cases. Dip them, shake them off and stuff 100 grain bullets in them. Bang, bolt won't open. Beat it open with a hammer. Rem 700 action. The bolt face now has the brass welded to it and it is taken to the local tech school and the bolt face is milled to remove the brass. Now that is not only totally stupid, but just plain outrageous. It happened years ago, but true story. NO - I wasn't the shooter, but do know the man.

Rick

According to the 2004 Vihtavuroi reloading guide 4.0 grs. of N310 is a maximum load with a velocity of 892 fps. I chronograph my two favorite .45 ACP practice loads last week and this is what I got:

Gun: Wilson Combat with 5 inch Bar-Sto bbl. (17 lb. recoil spring)

Load#1

Bullet: LaserCast 200 gr. RNFP

Powder: N310 4.45 grs. (thats what the Little Dandy drops)

Primer: Federal 150

Case: PMC

LOAL: 1.188

Velocity: 840 fps

Load#2

Bullet: LaserCast 200 gr. RNFP

Powder: Alliant Bullseye 4.9 grs.

Primer: Federal 150

Case: PMC

LOAL: 1.188

Velocity: 846

Both loads are equally accurate but the N310 loads is a lot cleaner to shoot. Guns are all different.