Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry Friring Shield Lessons Learned?

Smitty79

The quick search of this forum found a few threads on special dry fire equipment for M&Ps and an occasional early striker failure.

Does anyone have a collection of knowledge on dry firing M&Ps?    I'm planning on twice a week 15 minutes of practice with my carry gun to supplement my CO and Production practice.

Dry firing any striker fire gun is not recommended unless you are using spring loaded dummy rounds.  I have heard of people using fired brass, but once the primer is hit by the striker the first time, there is no cushion the 2nd time around.

I’ve dryfired a SHIELD and M&P 9L thousands and thousands of times without issue and without utilizing a snap-cap. It won’t hurt it.

I broke an original striker in the 9L back near their initial release. (2009? 2010?) Due to a defect in striker design that has long since been corrected.

No issues at all since then.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I’ve loaded 5 magazines worth of dummy rounds with hot glue in the primer pockets to clearly distinguish them from live rounds. I think it’s important to dry fire and practice reloading with weighted magazines, especially with a plastic gun as draws feel dramatically different.

Like MM above my several M&Ps (FS and Shields) have thousands of dry fires without issue. I never expected the hot glue to be a cushion, just a safety reminder.

There is also a Bill Rogers dry fire insert that allows you to lock back and rack the slide without chambering anything.

You can insert it over dummy rounds to keep the magazines weighted:

https://holsterops.com/products/tap-rack-training-aid-trt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk