Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Omni

Fenrir0311

23 minutes ago, bluedevil008 said:

BLUF:  STI's are good fun, so if you have extra cash, go for it, but based on what you claimed you're going to use it for, I'm not sure it's the best option.

If it's a range toy, then who cares what other people's opinions are (referencing your Glock buddies).  I love 2011's, I have two STI's, though they've both been worked over extensively for competition, and an Atlas gunworks 2011.  That said, I would not recommend one for a duty-use.  I have seen plenty of STI's that shoot just as reliably as polymer, striker fired guns, but they have a massive weakness: the magazines.  Get those things dirty, too wet, sandy, and your gun may not run.  So if these classes are hardcore, then you may run into trouble.   I never understood having a gun just for "training."  In my opinion it should be the same platform/setup as your duty, home defense, or competition rig (whatever the training is for).

Thanks for the feedback. 

I never get one one just for training, but I always train with them first to be sure they meet the needs/expectation of a carry/home defense or CCW before putting em in that role. A legit class let’s me run the weapon hard and make sure it can hold up on a carry capacity. Always better to know the limitations in a co trolled setting vs just carry it and hope for the best 

56 minutes ago, Fenrir0311 said:

Yea extractors is what I meant. 

What kindnof issues would you get when it dod have them?

honestly it's so rare i don't remember, but thinking an occasional stovepipe.  most likely mag-related, but if something in the system doesn't work, then the system doesn't work.

16 minutes ago, Fenrir0311 said:

Thanks for the feedback. 

I never get one one just for training, but I always train with them first to be sure they meet the needs/expectation of a carry/home defense or CCW before putting em in that role. A legit class let’s me run the weapon hard and make sure it can hold up on a carry capacity. Always better to know the limitations in a co trolled setting vs just carry it and hope for the best 

Another caveat, if you're considering it for carrying, I'd say go for it.  I will never be low crawling through dirt and mud, or open carrying my CCW, so I'm not worried about the magazine issue.  

57 minutes ago, bluedevil008 said:

Another caveat, if you're considering it for carrying, I'd say go for it.  I will never be low crawling through dirt and mud, or open carrying my CCW, so I'm not worried about the magazine issue.  

Yea I hope I am past my low drawing in the dirt and mud days, but ya never know. I figure 2 is 1, 1 is none. So I think something like this to put with my gear wouldn’t be bad if it is reliable. I’ll atill be holding onto my VP9, as a backup if needed

• 1 year later...

Bit of an old thread, but hopefully someone will read this who can help. I just purchased an Omni in 45 acp. The problem, I live in Connecticut. The standard capacity mags are not compliant as we have a 10 round limit. Anyone know which magizines I need for this thing? I'm struggling to find the info!