Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 cal springs

Tompac

That's really personal preference to how you want your gun timed to your ammo.

In my limited guns I use a 17lb hammer spring and stuck to that because I was able to get a trigger I liked and I knew that it would set off darn near any primer I put in the gun. For the recoil springs I ended up at a 12 lb recoil spring, but I fooled around with 11-14lb springs to see what I liked. I tested these individually in both guns and was surprised to find that I liked the same weights in both guns since one has fairly radical slide cuts and one has none. This was with 180gr ammo at 172 power factor.

In my .45 SS gun, I stuck with the 17lb hammer spring (I think, could be a 19 as I don't shoot it much) and a 14lb recoil spring for 230gr ammo at about 174 power factor.

I use a 12lb recoil spring. shooting 180gr BBI. Just bought a Titan and it shipped with a 10lb, haven't shot it yet, but I'm also switching to jhp.  The Atlanta Arms ammo I shot during several majors last year is a bit softer than the coated, and I probably could have ran a 11lb.

From everything I've heard and read, if a 17lb hammerspring doesn't work for you, there's probably some other issue, bad primers, issues with the trigger group, firing pin channel, etc.

3 minutes ago, bluedevil008 said:

I use a 12lb recoil spring. shooting 180gr BBI. Just bought a Titan and it shipped with a 10lb, haven't shot it yet, but I'm also switching to jhp.  The Atlanta Arms ammo I shot during several majors last year is a bit softer than the coated, and I probably could have ran a 11lb.

From everything I've heard and read, if a 17lb hammerspring doesn't work for you, there's probably some other issue, bad primers, issues with the trigger group, firing pin channel, etc.

Thanks. Good info. 

I think the best thing to do is film your pistol under recoil. Use an iPhone’s slow mo feature. Under sprung and the gun will return high (over target) over sprung and the front will dip (below your target). Swap the springs out and repeat till you find the one that returns to zero for a quick follow. Also make sure you keep a consistent grip as this will play a big role in how your pistol behaves under recoil. 

I run an 11 pound spring. 172pf with a 200 grain blue .40. 

ETA: 17 lb mainspring. 

Edited by SlappyMcTrigger

1 hour ago, SlappyMcTrigger said:

I think the best thing to do is film your pistol under recoil. Use an iPhone’s slow mo feature. Under sprung and the gun will return high (over target) over sprung and the front will dip (below your target). Swap the springs out and repeat till you find the one that returns to zero for a quick follow. Also make sure you keep a consistent grip as this will play a big role in how your pistol behaves under recoil. 

I run an 11 pound spring. 172pf with a 200 grain blue .40. 

ETA: 17 lb mainspring. 

That’s excellent advice. Thanks