Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sighting Your Gun In

bk, I like to have the bullet strike where the top of the front sight is aiming, or maybe 1" higher, at 25 yds.    Having the point of impact hidden behind the front sight gives me a queasy feeling, especially on 25 yd head shot.   Make sure to sight the gun in from a bench and then shoot it off hand and prone on paper.  Knowing exactly where the bullet is going to strike will give you a huge amount of confidence.   ;)

Try thinner front sights, you can tell exactly where you will hit and you won't cover your target up while still being able to hold dead on. I think it is must easier visually to pick a spot on the target that you want to shoot and put the dot (fiber optic or red dot) and shoot the spot. Dotting i's is too complicated for me.

Sam,

25 yard headshots? Are you an IPSC shooter? Just giving you a hard time, I can't remember ever shooting a 25 yard headshot in a match, I practice them, but they don't seem to come up.

Since 80% of shots are 5-15 yards or less I sight in for 15 yards .09 fiber optic front sight means I can shoot dead on with plenty of room to see what I am shooting.

I can hold dead on at any range to 50 yards and get

acceptable hits. At 50 I just shoot top 3rd A zone, everything else center A zone.