Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Convert Bull to Bushing Barrel Issues?

walnutty

Hello Guys, 

I have a bull barreled 1911 that has the reverse plug with the shoulder and the slide already cut for a barrel bushing.  I would like to convert this pistol to a standard barrel/bushing set-up. 

I have read a few posts of people having successfully done this.  My question is--can this new set-up leave the rear of the slide plug tunnel more prone to peening/cracking being that the area is thinner and does not have the reverse plug shoulder to support the hole?

I have purchased an EGW reverse plug for a bushing gun.  Unfortunately the OD of the plug shoulder is still slightly undersized compared to the reverse plug that came with the gun.  The factory reverse plug for the bull barrel fit more snugly and offered more support to the plug tunnel.  The EGW reverse plug has enough shoulder diameter to hold the spring but it is a loose fit (diameter wise) to offer any kind of support to the shoulder plug tunnel. 

I know many forum members here shoot their guns a lot so I am curious what your experience has been. 

Thank you in advance. 

BTW, the pistol is an SA TRP Operator. 

Edited by walnutty

Yes you can convert.  You do not have to worry about the spring tunnel.  It won't crack.  I just use Dawson Toolless One-Pice Guide Rods (with their spring plug) for bushing barrels.  It makes takedown a lot easier.  

Edited by zzt