Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production Lowering The Hammer W/o Decocker

jkushner1

i did a little search and perused thru some of the heartburn this issue has caused for production shooters.

IMO, the '1st shot DA' rule has outlived its usefulness. if your gun can be carried cocked and locked, then you ought to be able to holster it cocked and locked for IPSC.

Iagree with MAtt here. I carry DA almost all of the time. I think it is soemthing work getting used to. It definitly has it's place in competition if you don't like it then you can always shoot a "block"

Safe action guns are allowed in production

Street guns are worth practising with. I think they tried to call it IDPA but it also got skewed.

Thanks for the topic. I'm a new RO and hadn't given this much thought. I have been considering the Beretta 96 Stock and sure enough it's on the approved list. It's got a frame mounted safety and no decocker. I had been wondering if it was legal to manually decock for production div. Now I won't be one of those new RO's breaking your concentration when you manually decock.

splashdown

I dont have a problem at all with someone manualy decocking. I grew up with winchester lever rifles and single shot shotguns so I've seen and done it as long as I've been around guns. I cringe and take a sudden deep breath every time someone thumbs off a decocker. Just something about dropping a hammer on a loaded chamber just aint right.------Larry

Thanks for the topic.  I'm a new RO and hadn't given this much thought.  I have been considering the Beretta 96 Stock and sure enough it's on the approved list.  It's got a frame mounted safety and no decocker.  I had been wondering if it was legal to manually decock for production div.  Now I won't be one of those new RO's breaking your concentration when you manually decock.

splashdown

Splashdown:

Yes it is completely legal to de-cock manually and as a fresh RO, you know that means during the Load and Make Ready sequence - see the Rule Book in the Appendix for Production D-4, also see I think its 8.1/2..... for specifics. As it regards the Beretta's, I've heard they have a trigger that can be made almost perfect, I'm a CZ guy, but Dave Olhasso who posted above is one of the country's top 5 Production shooters and shoots Berretta's and is devoted to that brand. In your RO class did they ever talk about this just curious. Because I think the NROI should talk about it since it appears to violate alot of rules when being done, for example finger well clear of trigger guard until the buzzer sounds, etc.

Thanks,

Jon

Jon, at least you were not warned that you had your finger inside the trigger guard during load and make ready. Yes, that's what happened to me the first time I shot my CZ75B in production. I finished decocking and holstered, then turned and told the RO "You cannot decock a CZ unless you pull the trigger", and he just looked at me with a sheepish grin and said "OK".

LJE

TAPS

Because I think the NROI should talk about it since it appears to violate alot of rules when being done, for example finger well clear of trigger guard until the buzzer sounds, etc.

IPSC already fixed that rule but the USPSA takes ages to catch up.

If the R.O. actually tells you not to decock the gun, then engage the safety and shoot without decocking. It's not your fault the R.O. does not know the rules, but IMO it's better to follow any R.O. instructions that are not unsafe. If he says he will bump you to L-10 or Open, then you should ask to see the CRO, RM, or MD before shooting the stage.

Richard

Schennberg.com

Splashdown:

Yes it is completely legal to de-cock manually and as a fresh RO, you know that means during the Load and Make Ready sequence - see the Rule Book in the Appendix for Production D-4, also see I think its 8.1/2..... for specifics. As it regards the Beretta's, I've heard they have a trigger that can be made almost perfect, I'm a CZ guy, but Dave Olhasso who posted above is one of the country's top 5 Production shooters and shoots Berretta's and is devoted to that brand. In your RO class did they ever talk about this just curious. Because I think the NROI should talk about it since it appears to violate alot of rules when being done, for example finger well clear of trigger guard until the buzzer sounds, etc.

Thanks,

Jon

My RO Class was a year ago (August 04) with Troy McManus and Carl Schmidt. I do not remember them talking about manual decocking, but then there are countless gun-specific situations that cannot possibly be covered in a 1.5 day basic 1st time RO class. I think that's enough time to get specific fundamentals of the rules and more to learn how to use the rulebook. Yes, I am familiar with David Olhasso and his use of the 96G Vertec Beretta. I'm not sure that the Beretta trigger is the best out there, but I sure like the ergonomics of the gun.

splashdown