Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NC 22RB / JP 22R accuracty potential

Kettlebell

What kind of accuracy potential or groups are those with the NC 22RB or JP 22R uppers getting at 50yd with match (Wolf/SK/Eley) or quality high velocity (CCI MM/Tac) ammo?

My understanding is that NC builds a lot of the components for the JP 22R upper but JP runs a bit tighter QC. 

Will either upper run reliably with the AR Gold or similar trigger group?

Thanks!

Edited by Kettlebell

I believe I have a Gen 1 NC-22 and I've gotten 0.5"-1.0" groups at 50 yards with old PMC Zapper ammo I had at the time.  It does really well with CCI Std and AR-Tactical also.
Ironically, I had trouble getting mine to run with Geissele triggers.  I never tried it with the AR Gold because I didn't want to muck it up with .22lr.  I use a JP trigger installed by JP.

Bagdrag, any idea why the Geissele trigger did not run well in the upper?  I have heard that hammers with a flat strike face and not curved work best.  Buy to be honest I'm not sure which triggers have which.

That is good to hear that the NC runs well with the CCI SV and Tac. 

The Geissele SSA-E trigger I tried to run in my Nordic did not hit the firing pin.  The flat surface of the hammer just barely missed being high enough to hit the firing pin.  I switched to a Jard adjustable single stage I had left over after switching another rifle to a Hiperfire 24C.  So far it has worked very well.  Accuracy has been acceptable for my uses, ammunition, and optics at around .75 - 1.00" at 50 yards.

Gen 1 JP here. Using Lapua Midas and Eley Tenex at 100 yards I'm just barely over 1" for 5-shot groups. Using Aquila GE (cheap, but I think no longer made) it's under 2" at 100 yards. Sounds impressive, but then a buddy comes over with a Savage (lots of mods, but stock barrel) and beats me.

19 hours ago, Kettlebell said:

Ming, what ammo are you running?  If you wanted to run a two stage trigger in the NC upper what would you try first?

Thanks!

Mine shoots CCI Standard Velocity about as well as it shoots the more expensive match stuff like Eley.  I've also had good results with Norma Tac and CCI AR Tactical.  I don't have any experience with a 2 stage trigger that works with the NC/JP upper.

With the 22lr tending to be very dirty and gunk up the action faster than centerfire what kind of cleaning schedule do you have?  Just shoot it until it chokes then scrape and scrub out the gunk? 

Do you just use a bore snake every few hundred rounds for the barrel?

11 hours ago, Kettlebell said:

With the 22lr tending to be very dirty and gunk up the action faster than centerfire what kind of cleaning schedule do you have?  Just shoot it until it chokes then scrape and scrub out the gunk? 

Do you just use a bore snake every few hundred rounds for the barrel?

I'm using dirty SV ammo, so this is probably the worse case, but mine starts choking after about 100 rounds and needs a thorough cleaning. Which is fine for me because I'm using it to train for DMR matches and I typically only shoot 60-100 rounds per session.

1 hour ago, Kettlebell said:

Bill, those are impressive groups at 100yd. It is a little unnerving that the JP starts to choke after just 100rds.  What trigger are you running and has it been reliable with the 22lr?

I'm running a Geissele Hi-Speed NM and ignition has been good with all types of ammo.

I used my NC22 for what were then called Ruger Rimfire steel matches. I've literally shot 1100 (2 bulk packs) rounds of .22lr in a single range session with what I assumed were only one or two ammunition-related malfunctions. I cleaned my upper before matches to make sure it didn't malfunction but I only cleaned my lower maybe once every 3 or 4,000 rounds. The Geissele SSA still worked fine.

Edited by californiasushi

Thank you all for the replies!

It sounds like the NC uppers sure run!  That is quite a bit of 22lr ammo in a short period of time and they are dirty.

I think the new NC uppers use Wilson barrels.  CLE uses Douglas for most builds as does Acc Speaks.  JP isn't saying who's barrels they  are using.

If you all could do it over again what company would you use?  Doesn't sound like you can go wrong with any of them.

On 12/26/2017 at 9:25 AM, Kettlebell said:

Bagdrag, any idea why the Geissele trigger did not run well in the upper?  I have heard that hammers with a flat strike face and not curved work best.  Buy to be honest I'm not sure which triggers have which.

That is good to hear that the NC runs well with the CCI SV and Tac. 

On 12/26/2017 at 7:03 PM, Ming the Merciless said:

The Geissele SSA-E trigger I tried to run in my Nordic did not hit the firing pin.  The flat surface of the hammer just barely missed being high enough to hit the firing pin.  I switched to a Jard adjustable single stage I had left over after switching another rifle to a Hiperfire 24C.  So far it has worked very well.  Accuracy has been acceptable for my uses, ammunition, and optics at around .75 - 1.00" at 50 yards.

I was using a Geissele S3G.  Ming describes the problem I was having.  I think I can go a couple hundred rounds or more until I run into issues as currently setup using JP trigger.  Even then I can push it by adding a little lube.