Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lighten Slide On 45?

cking

I know this isn't an in vogue gun, but I like it.

Old para 14/45 with caspian slide, with standard bushing nowlin barrel, shooting factory loads.

I don't like the sti wide long dust cover with slab side slide, too nose heavy.

If I had my slided vented what would I gain or lose?????

Thanks in advance

You'd lose about a hundred bucks... but gain by having less reciprocating mass. Generally, lighter guns feel faster, but you also feel more recoil. Everything is a give and take.

You'g gain far more, with far less effort, to shoot reloaded bullets closer to the MAJ power factor threshold.

Cool factor That's one point

Reload is too much time,

I thought that lightening the slide changed the felt recoil impulse. Kinda like changing the recoil spring weight changes how the gun feels during recoil.

Is it the fact that I'm throwing 230grainers versus 115gr that I need more slide weight?

I love to see someone good at inertia and kinetic energy, springs etc equations figure out the weight of the slide and recoil interaction with the recoil impulse.

Do the classic equation if the slide had no mass, so would that be a first degree differential equation, with constant representing the slide mass?

Come on guys we've got some engineers, rocket science types that remember all that math? Don't we?

Would that 12/13 oz figure include the firing pin, sights and extractor or just the slide itself? Would it matter if its a 5 or 6" slide?? I ask because I have a 6" 45 longslide SS I use for L-10. I thought about having the slide lightned up a bit. It feels a tad sluggish to me. Thanks

I had my slide lightened (40cal) expecting a radical change in my shooting style/performance after it's done. The money's gone but I'm still waiting for the gain....

Now I'm thinking it would probably have arrived sooner if I spent it on ammo instead. <_<

Looks cool though. :P