Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Oal Guage

infinity

Guys,

Maybe u can help me, i need an OAL guage i've seen some on the dillon website but $30+ for a small guage is a little expensive for me..since i am not from the US. maybe u guys can show me how to make one or direct me to store/website that sells one at a cheaper price. thanks!!!!

Regards

You talking about the Stoney Point OAL gauge?

$30 +/- $2 is about right for this product. I don't think you'll find it significantly cheaper anywhere.

Tell us a little more about what you're trying to do and someone might have a slick work around...

i'm leaning on a Do It Yourself OAL guage, Gungeek, yes i was referring to the Stoney Point. i was hoping somewhat near the cost of $10 :)

I got the Stoney Point comparator body at Midway USA for like $14.50 and bought just the caliber inserts I needed for $3.50 ea.

I sold it though to a guy in our club. :rolleyes:;)

The Redding Headspace and Bullet Comparator is a much better instrument but it's alot more like in $85.

BTW it's only used for the rifle rounds I load for.

To easily find out if the OAL's are consistent, just take the seating stem out of an unused seating die and let it sit on the ogive of the bullet and use calipers from the cartridge base to the end of the stem. Depending on the type of seater some adapting may be needed to get a flat end for the caliper to ride. It may not be elegant, but it will work if you keep it all in line while measuring. Alternatively, the whole seating die can also be used to measure OAL as long as it is making ogive contact only.

Measuring JHP match bullet tips for OAL is not exactly a precise job. I just get it close with one round by finding the max magazine length (.223 in an AR is what I am discussing, but it's cross platform applicable stuff) and setting an amount below that from tip to base. I start the 550 rolling and actively adjust my Redding Micrometer seater until the average OAL using a caliper from tip to base is in the decided range and that none are long enough to scrape the mag. Once I am getting rounds out of the press that are the right OAL (tip to base) range I am looking for, the ones already loaded go in the practice bin and the rest go to match use.

This gets them all where they want to be without worrying about any exact value that is really only a subset of the real OAL because you can't measure the real tip. The way I look at it, once I know the ammo is consistent out of the press, the average OAL IS the OAL.

--

Regards,

Edited by George