Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sunset '94 Crime Bill

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Today's news has an article on Bush's position.

I summarized that he is being silent on the sunset of the law. The article said there are not enough votes to prevent the law from sunsetting and Bush is not actively supporting either the sunset or extension.

I suspect he is keeping a low profile because it is an emotional polarizing issue that he will try his best to avoid. Being silent might end up being better for us in the long run.

So, am I the only one with a "buy every goddamn hi-cap I can get my hands on after the AW bill sunsets and before they can enact a new one fund." ? I think I may have to buy a new, dedicated footlocker to serve the purpose.

Sad thing is that, as an organized shooting sport in the USA, we, the IPSC community, are the ONLY ones that require magazines w/ more than 10 rounds. We alone have the vested sporting interest here folks. I am speaking now to those who shoot Ltd and Open & have not sent letters or made phone calls or joined NRA/GOA/or equivalent - you have what you want for today so you can't even lift a keyboard-finger to help everyone out? Our children face the prospect of the eventual elimination of Limited and Open - though I suppose they might still let shooters have Open-10. If you do not believe this will ever come to pass, then ask the IPSC shooters in the UK how they like being limited to shotgun and .22 rifle IPSC; or how the Japanese enjoy IPSC w/ airsoft BB guns (kinda takes the "power" out of DVC, doesn't it?). The republicans will not hold the white house forever; take the opportunity to change your (and our children's) future; write letters, make phone calls and VOTE!

By the way, here is a link to a part of the website above that will tell you exactly how your state's legislators in Congress have voted and it predicts how they "might" vote in the future on this issue; a few well-placed letters to some of the fence-sitters could ensure this harmful law sunsets as planned.

http://www.awbansunset.com/scoreboard.html

Here is a copy of the email that I sent to the Pres.

Dear Mr. President,

Sir, I am a staunch republican that has backed you so far in all your endeavors. I have always backed and voted for our party, I backed your Father in the first gulf war and you in this last one. I have always backed you in the war on terrorism (sometimes I don't think that you are harsh enough on the terrorist).

However, Sir I am also a patriot and an NRA member. I have always taught my children (3 of which are grown and all 4 kids are girls) to hunt and how to use and respect firearms. As you can tell, I am a very strong supporter of our second amendment rights as they were intended to be.

When I voted for you in the last election I felt I was voting for an extremely strong supporter of the second amendment. At least as strong as myself. But after reading that you are supporting the renewal of the ANTI-gun legislation of 1994, One which did nothing that it was supposed to be capable of doing, I have second thoughts. This legislation is completed unnecessary and does nothing for the safety of Americans. This kind of legislation will NEVER take the guns out of criminal hands, it will only take the guns out of the law abiding hands, you, I and even the liberals know this to be true! Support of this type of legislation just reaffirms to the anti-gun liberals that we are willing to compromise, and we are NOT willing to compromise and NOT willing to lose more of our rights!

I urge you Sir to give NO SUPPORT to this completely ANTI-gun legislation, we did not vote for a compromising man we voted for a STRONG leader, one who will support the American Way, one who will fight terrorism for outside as well as from with-in. Loosing rights from liberal politicians such as Schumer and Feinstein is like terrorism as it takes away our Rights and Freedoms that our fore fathers fought to give us as a FREE Nation!

Thank you for your time,

Randy Nelson

Concerned American

I honestly didn't mean to launch a RKBA activism thread. Just wanted to post a little update because the plot was thickening. Grassroots activism is a wonderful thing - but I believe goes beyond Brian's charter of the Forum.

Eric,

Obviously, my definition of silent is different than yours. By silent I meant, and truly did not adequately explain, that at the moment the President is not actively adocating the repeal or extension extension of the sunset. He is not making national speeches, etc.

At the moment, he gains more political mileage out of saying he supports the extension, when conventional wisdom has the repeal or extension will not get through the Congress. Therefore, he will not have to sign it. He wins, we win, the myopic anti-gunners lose.

But that is my take on it.

BTW: I think Paula Zahn is doing a "ASSUALT RIFLES ARE COMING BACK" special on CNN tonight.

• 2 weeks later...