Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun Bangs, Bullet Goes Out, Bigger Flash

Rikarin

I started to have this problem with my own ammo. Can not daignosis what I did wrong. Would you help me?

So, I pull the trigger, bullet goes out with much bigger muzzle flash (yay, I am not flinching) and I feel "bang" goes back towards me too and I hear something close to squib (I first thought its squib) Its like squib sound of "Poff" but more sounds like the sound of throwing a round into chamber when you chamber check the round.

And gun doesn't cycle, empty case stays there.

I can not pay attention to the recoil (wait... gun deosn't cycle so I don't feel it do I?)

Strange since I watch powder amount in each round and I have powder checker (XL650) too. Somenow too little powder?

Rikarin,

the powder check is probably knocking some powder out of the case when it checks it. i don't use mine for that reason. so you're not getting enough powder in your case. watch the when you load some rounds. then adjust the powder check.

lynn

Rikarin,

Would you please post more details? For example, how often does it happen?

One possibility is that occasionally your may be losing some powder when your XL-650 indexes.

I agree about the powder checker. The best check is using your eyeballs to make sure that the proper amount of powder is there when you put the bullet on top of the case.

Regards,

Sam Spiteri

Thanks guys... it makes sence. It happens only on two batches or the load I made in a hurry. Cranking up and powder spilled out everywhere. I climped the spring under the ballbearing about 1/3 but will increase to 1/2.

It only happens 1 in 100 rounds. Next time it happens I will make sure to save the brass and check any abnormality.

You can also weigh your loaded rounds... Most pistol brass varies by around .75 grains plus or minus.... If there is so little powder that it won't even fully cycle the gun it should show up on a scale.....

You can also weigh your loaded rounds...  Most pistol brass varies by around .75 grains plus or minus....  If there is so little powder that it won't even fully cycle the gun it should show up on a scale.....

This is probably true If it is all the same head stamp, and made in the same time frame. However, I have tried this before on rounds loaded by my daughter... I found variances of up to 10 grains (with the same powder load) up to 2 grains bullet weight and the rest was the case.

If I suspect a problem with the loaded cartridges, I pull them apart and start over.

...It happens only on two batches or the load I made in a hurry.  Cranking up and powder spilled out everywhere...

Loading ammo quickly, for me, makes for less consistent ammo.

Loading in a hurry has, for me, usually ended up in very questionable ammo...

Take the time to do it right - the product will be both better and safer.