Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun July Stage Of The Month

My hypothesis: The shotgun always wins.

.5 to .65 1st shot and .25 to .3 transitions all the way across for the shotgun (not me)

.85 to .95 1st shot and .25 to .3 transitions all the way across for the pistol (not me again)

The pistol will never catch up. Only way is if it get's a low ready start.

--

Regards,

Here are the results for our match today:

shotgun 3.42

shotgun 3.49

shotgun 3.52

shotgun 3.81

shotgun 7.09

shotgun 9.31

pistol 4.59

pistol 5.38

pistol 5.81

pistol 5.98

pistol 6.67

pistol 8.33

We had a couple of guys go .9 on the first shot with the shotgun and a couple guys with 1.0 first shot with the pistol. Started the shotgunners with the butt of the gun touching the gun belt and the muzzle at head height. The stage was set up at 12yds from the box and targets were 1yd apart.

• 2 weeks later...

We ran something almost exactly the same at our recent long gun match.

7 full size poppers at 10 yards, start from port arms. 2.54 seconds won it (shotgun of course).

I was looking at a real low 3's run myself when I realized the last popper was wobbling back in place and had not fallen. I had already dismounted the shotgun and the pickup shot put me at 4.9 seconds, Sheeesh! Later we noticed that the same popper had a stripped adjuster bolt and was leaning forward quite a bit! Maybe I'll put the shot square in the center of the last popper next time, instead of at the edge ;-)

--

Regards,

• 2 months later...

Start both handgun and shotgun from a table, the shotgun always wins! Start the shotgun lying on a table and the handgun from low ready, then maybe the P-shooter might have a ghost of a chance ;-)

BTW, I think a GM level shotgunner could possibly do this one in 2, or under without too much ado!

BTW, I think a GM level shotgunner could possibly do this one in 2, or under without too much ado!

Sub 2 would be a tall order. When Chris shot this with a limited shotgun his first shot was somewhere near a .75 (remember because it took me almost 1 sec. and I wanted to compare) so that leaves 1.7 +/- for the rest of the shots so you're breaking .33-34 splits/transitions with a 12 ga. pretty tough to go much faster. I did it in 2.68 with an open shotgun but like I said, I'm slow off the buzzer.

Edited by TMC

This was shot on July 30 at ORPC and the fastest time was 2.59 with a shotgun. The next 3 shooters, all with shotguns were at 2.77, 2.80, and 2.88. I had also figured prior to the stage that the reaction time to the shotgun would be better than the draw on the pistol more often than not. Couple that with the fact you are throwing a baseball at it vs. a marble, and that your eye is the rear sight, it seems to me that the shotgun is the obvious choice. The great big dogs can do this as fast with a pistol I imagine, but they gotta nail the 12 yard draw below 1 and transitions at .25, and even they choke as anyone who watched the speed shoots at Nationals will confirm.