Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carlock Shuffle

Thanks Eric. I'm starting to wonder if I'm over my head trying to get a 1100 ready for 3-gun.  :wacko: Getting my pistols working 100% was enough work.

Mine works now, but I'm not so sure I won't dump it for a Benelli if the opportunity presents itself. Not because it doesn't run now, but because I have such mixed emotions about it. Getting my 1100 to the point of working was 1+ year pisseroo royale. If somebody ran it over with a truck, I'm not sure I'd shed any tears at its passing.

Sorry for the thread drift but I have to giggle everytime I hear people complain about their remmys and again when people can't get a benelli to run.

Just go get a stock SX2 and all the ammo you can carry. Mine has been very reliable with no tweaking at all. No drilling of gas ports, no restriction on sidesaddles, no excessive recoil, etc. etc.

Anyway, thanks Shawn for chiming in, I think your explanation will help with a couple of problems I am having. I am sitting on a plateau of about 4.5 secs for shoot, reload 4, shoot. But it was the manipulation of the third shell that was getting me. I knew it was in the way the shells were winding up in my hand however I couldn't figure out a solution. As soon as I get back from rm3g the work will start again.

Craig

• 5 months later...

Does anyone have any pics of the shell sequence followed to perform this loading method? I have tried it for the last several days and the only way I can load 4 is to shove the first shell in with my index finger using my pinkey to guide the end of the shell in. The other 3 I use my thumb and the leading edge of my hand to (shuffle) in. It is working well but a little slow, about 4.2 for shoot 1 load 4 shoot 1. I know it will be faster if I can load all four with my thumb, but I cannot manipulate the shells without losing the one in between my pinkey and index finger. The technique is great, thanks for the pics that show where to relieve the receiver. This reloading technique is almost impossible without making these cuts. All I need now is the proper technique to hold the shells and it will be on like donkey kong.

Well, I finally figured out what I was doing wrong. I was trying to lay the shells against the side of the receiver and shuffle all 4 shells back and forth. This works but you have to taper the forend so the shells will not hang up on it. The (correct) way is a lot smoother and faster. I dry fired for about an hour tonight, going back and forth between the two techniques and the correct method is night and day faster. I will work on it for a few days and post a video.

After reading all the posts I had to try out the shuffle. I had had Shawn show me a couple of years ago, but I didn't at that time have any shell holders except for loop type. I now have several that Shawn sells and another type that holds 6. Also have a New Benelli Nova to use in heavy metal if I can't use my old Benelli 121M1.

I tried 2 different ways of picking the shells out of the carriers. Index and little finger on the sides of the carrier works nice. The other method was using the index, middle and ring fingers to pick up the shells. This method worked the best for me with the Nova. I put the 1st rd. into the shotgun feed with my index finger, move my hand back, drop in the shell under the little finger and push both shells in. Then drop in the shell under the ring finger followed by the last shell and push those in.

With the old Benelli M1 and the Remington 870 the 1st method seems to work the best, but I'm pushing only one shell in at a time. Both guns are stock and don't have modified feed ramps. So far I've only practiced loading in my basement. When we get some nice weather around here instead of rain I'll go out and do some live fire practice. So far my times seem to be 4-6 secs. depending upon which gun I'm loading and how much I bobble things up. Also have to work on grabbing two shells at a time out of the side saddle. I can do that, but most of the time end up dropping at least one of them or doing a lot of fumbling around and taking more time than if I had just grabbed one at a time.