Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G17 Or G34

E5MC

I've finally decided to try my hand in the gun games. I have alot of training in defefnsive shooting "Insights" with my G19. I will continuue to use this pistol until I decide on a new Glock. I'm looking for opinions on whether the G34 is really any better for the games than a G17. I'll be using the new pistol for IDPA and IPSC. I don't reload and will probably using WWB 115 grain ammo for the time being. Any help will be appreciated.

Well, for what it's worth............ I just did this EXACT thing this past weekend. I gave up my G19 to my better half, and chose to go with a 34 over the 17.

I shoot CCI/Blazer thru my guns, no troubles. As far as the difference, the extra length of the slide on the 34 "should" give ya a little edge on longer range shots, plus it already comes with the 3 1/2 lb. trigger, ext. mag release, adjustable sights, etc. Either are fine, but I went with the 34. Keep us posted on your decision!

Mike

The short answer is that the G34 is better for most folks for USPSA. However, there are a few folks that prefer the feel of the G17. In my opinion, it really matters how serious you are about competing as there aren't a whole lot of used G34s on the market. A new one will run about $600. One can get a cop trade-in G17 for about $350.

Thanks for the help. I think I'm gonna go with the G17 for now. If I get to the point where the longer sight radius is making or breaking me I can upgrade then. Cheers.

Thanks for the help. I think I'm gonna go with the G17 for now. If I get to the point where the longer sight radius is making or breaking me I can upgrade then. Cheers.

Good choice . If you decide to upgrade , you can always get a 34 upper from glockmeister and mount it to the 17 frame.

until that day,

mark

I shoot a G17 and love it. I have shot the G34 several times and didn't realize too much difference in between the two. Once you decide on which Glock to get, changing the sights and smoothing out the trigger would be the first modifications I would do. You can search the forum and see read about the different triggers and sights. I went with the Dawson FO Sights and they work well for me.

I haven't personally shot a G17L, but some say that it cycles too slow and feels "weird". Also not production legal.

Sights and trigger work are definitely needed. The stock sights really suck. The cheap route would be to do the 25 cent trigger job and get a set of Heinie Slantpros.