Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Side Step The Plate Rack

EricW

The plate rack is a very versatile tool. After doing Steve's charge drill, I decided to do a side to side box drill.

The setup:

Place or paint three boxes 15 yards in front of the plate rack. Once box will be directly in front of the plate rack. The other two will be 6 yards to the left and to the right of the middle box.

The drill:

Starting in either the left or right box, shoot 2 plates from each box.

My times today: about 13 and change. (Lost the scoresheet)

What I found to be interesting is that my times were almost identical to charging forward to the plate rack. Someday I'll be able to clean those plates on the move. Today, I have to stop in each box. I like shooting plates 15 yards and back. You generally don't get lucky 15 yards and back. Either you're on it or you're not. (I particularly like the plates 30 yards and back. For some reason they seem "easier" the further away they are.)

I think they seem easier at longer ranges because you know you have to have excellent sight allignment and trigger control to make the hits. It isn't as tempting to fall into a cadence or rush the shot by trying to make some time goal. That's what it is for me, anyway.

Guild,

Never seen one of Matt's videos.  If it seems like I plagiarized his material, it was purely unintentional.

Sorry that is not what I meant, was merely pointing out similarity. They both sound like good drills, I have tried one like Matt suggested, havn't tried the other.

Eric:

Sam and I made an interesting discovery. We tossed a box on the ground slightly to the left of his plate rack, and another slightly to the right of the rack. I think the distance was around 12 yards. Then we shot 3 plates from Box A, ran to Box B and shot the remaining 3 plates. Then we did the same drill drawing from Box A and shooting the plates on the move finishing up as we stepped into Box B. Try it and see what happens. BTW, I can shoot the plates on the move with a reload tossed in for good measure as fast as I can shoot three, scoot, then shoot 3 more.

Ron,

I believe you on that one. And most of all I believe Sam, who really got on me about stopping to shoot last Sat. My best run on the charge drill seemed to be when I just sort of rolled through the drill, instead of the sprint and blast. It was at least a couple of seconds.