Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Into The Action!

Beta

Well, I was at the range from around 9:00AM to 3:00PM today and it was a blast! We had around 20-25 shooters and split into 2 groups. It was so hot, we weren't required to wear concealment. All my vest practice was for naught today! :P

We shot 4 stages - 2 scenarios and 2 skill drills, I think 96 rounds total.

One of the skill drills was VERY convoluted and took forever because nobody could remember what the directions were - it was one by Bill Wilson (dunno if it was an older one or what). For that particular one, we had to engage targets T1-T3 in tactical priority with 1 round, then 1 more round, then 2, or something like that, starting from 45 degrees facing left and right alternately - we didn't like that one at all. Also my thumb safety broke on that one (bad weld or something on the pin)! :angry: (I should note that was an aftermarket thumb safety and not original)

Luckily, I had brought spare parts because I had a bad feeling this morning something was going to break, so I was back shooting quickly.

The other skill drill was straight forward, 1 to each head of T1-T3 (T3 had a no shoot), reholster, again, then 1 to body, reholster, again, then 2 shots to each, reholster, do again. That was fun! I REALLY need to work on my headshots though... ;)

The scenarios on the other hand were both good - one had 5 targets, with 3 No-shoots, and I managed to shoot every No-shoot on my first run! This particular one was shot weak hand once and strong hand once, and I am VERY unexperienced in shooting that style.

The other scenario was starting with 4 rounds in pistol from position 1, engage 2 from cover (1 no shoot), move to position 2 and pick up magazine from ground and engage 1 target with no-shoot and then 2 steel poppers (getting the steel to drop was an issue for some 9mm and 38 folks in my group). That was my best, I only dropped 1! :D

I haven't gotten the final scores yet, but I bet I'm last in CDP! :lol:

I went with some friends from work (1 has only owned a pistol 3 weeks, and he did great), and we're already planning on shooting the next match around here.

All in all, a great time - the match could have been run a bit smoother, but they weren't expecting so many folks to show up. I'm already planning my training for this week. :)

Beta - Sounds like you had a great time!

Also my thumb safety broke on that one (bad weld or something on the pin)!  (I should note that was an aftermarket thumb safety and not original)
If you're going to shoot a 1911, the minimum spares kit is a thumb safety, extractor and slide stop. How do I know this? Trust me, I know this. :rolleyes: The thumb safety has to be fitted by a pistolsmith; often the extractor does too.

Beta - Sounds like you had a great time!
Also my thumb safety broke on that one (bad weld or something on the pin)!  (I should note that was an aftermarket thumb safety and not original)
If you're going to shoot a 1911, the minimum spares kit is a thumb safety, extractor and slide stop. How do I know this? Trust me, I know this. :rolleyes: The thumb safety has to be fitted by a pistolsmith; often the extractor does too.

Yup, it was great fun!

I actually fit the aftermarket thumb safety myself, it takes a LOT (depending on the safety) of very patient filing to get the fit right - I think I spent about an hour getting it just right. So now, I'm going to buy a few more and maybe an ambi and fit them all for my spares kit! ;)

If my extractor ever breaks, I'll be SOL, because the S&W 1911 use an external which I haven't found available in the aftermarket. :o

Congrats on shooting a match. Something about that first step that is exciting and fulfilling. Be aware that this stuff is truly addicting. Have fun and glad that you made the plunge.