Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Help With Scope Mounting!

gary meyer

I had a similar problem with a rem-700. One of the screw-heads broke off. (!)

I put the rifle into a rifle vise, and *very* carefully drilled out the carcass of the screw with a bit that was *smaller* than the body of the screw (eg, make sure the bit fits easily into one of the other holes without touching the sides).

Then I took a steel dentists' pick and was able to pick the remains of the threads out of the hole. When all done, the hole was [happily] empty and in pristine condition.

If you can make that work, it is a lot better than drilling a bigger hole and tapping threads for bigger screws. Just be careful - especially on the holes toward the muzzle - to clean out any metal bits that find their way down into the receiver.

Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem with $50 scope mount on my Ruger 7mm Mag. Now I only go with scope mounts that use allen drive heads - they should never have been made with phillips heads.

My Tikka .308 uses allen wrenches for the scope mount - works great . . .

. . . by the way if you ever need another rifle - or even if you don't - try a tikka. They are great guns at an unbelievable price.

that was just a free commercial.

Jp

does anyone know the thread size for remy 700 scope mount?

I have a new receiver but cant get 2 of the little screws out towards muzzle

end. Im gonna need a tap when im done here.....thanks

One other thing you need a #31 drill for 6-48 tap. Also if you can find a left hand drill it will help in getting out broken screw. When the drill bites it will spin out old screw.

Also if you can find a left hand drill it will help in getting out broken screw. When the drill bites it will spin out old screw.

What a *great* idea - I'm gonna add that to my bag of tricks!

Bruce

Y'all need to make a trip to your local Harbor Freight and pick up a couple sets of EZ outs. The come with the right size drills and everything. I think I paid less than $10 for mine. Just make sure you use a tap handle and don't snap the EZ Out, or you'll be REALLY bummed.