Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

On Fear

Sam

A friend sent this to me. I'm not scared right now, but I have been, and one day will be again. I want to share this just incase someone here ever needs it.

A sick man turned to his doctor, as he was preparing to leave the examination room and said, "Doctor, I am afraid to die. Tell me what lies on the other side."

Very quietly, the doctor said, "I don't know."

"You don't know? You, a very spiritual man, do not know what is on the other side?"

The doctor was holding the handle of the door; on the other side came a sound of scratching and whining, and as he opened the door, a dog sprang into the room and leaped on him with an eager show of gladness.

Turning to the patient, the doctor said, "Did you notice my dog? He's never been in this room before. He didn't know what was inside. He knew nothing except that his master was here, and when the door opened, he sprang in without fear. I know little of what is on the other side of death, but I do know one thing... I know my Master is there and that is enough."

Whoa Whoa Whoa!!!!!

You can't have dogs in the examination room!!!! What the hell kinda hospital is this? And did the Doc wash his hands before the whole "turn your head and cough?" deal???? :D

Just kidding Bonedaddy!

Good message.

J

• 2 weeks later...

A very wise man once said to me: "Everybody is philosophical about death until they have to look it in the eyeball." My dad was right about that. I always remember that, like when some dufus was telling me how he wouldn't let his family "bum him out" at his father's funeral because "we are all just worm food in the great cosmic scheme of things".

Exactly... that's what everybody says right up until they have to look at Death and see their own face.

Some dipwad on another forum was waxing philosophical and was saying how he knew all about death because he worked at an old folks home..... I answered:

really? Wait until your heart stops and you hit the floor stone dead and (by luck or the grace of God) it gets going again.... then get back to me on what you know about death. Until then, you're just another tourist shooting off your mouth about a place you've never been.

everybody will be scared when the time comes. Some people just don't know it yet.

I'm an admitted control freak. In light of that - I hate flying. Unfortunately my job requires a lot of flight.

Before trips, I almost always dream of a plane crash. I never did before, but over the past few years its haunted me. I hate the fact that if I'm in that 747 and it goes down I have virtually no chance of survival.

Sam brings home a great point. I am afraid of dying. Everytime I fly, or my wife flies, or my daughter - I fear the worst. It scares the hell out of me.

I live a good life, better than I likely deserve. I used to be 10 foot tall and bullet proof. Thank God I was that way back then because these days I'm 5' 8", and a simple guy who just wants to get by.

Ironically I chew way too much. I drink a ton of Diet Coke everyday. While I fear the plane I'd be wise to change my lifestyle a bit before I end up doing myself in before that 747 has a chance to.

J

You know what, I take one thing back. I deserve the life I have because I work my butt off for it.

I just need to decide if what I work my butt off for is worth it.

J

Bounty Hunter,

I have shared in the passing of far more than my share of people and I can assure you that just as often as not death brings a calm assurance instead of fear. Not everyone will be scared.

Take care, Craig

Wow, cool. I had forgotton about posting this. Thanks! It's nice to see all the replies. I guess there's one thing we all have in common. "Ain't nobody getting outta this world alive!" :P

I always get a little extra introspective this time of year. Nineteen years ago this month, a lost man found me bleeding out on a deserted blacktop at 2:00am. I was concious and cold. I have never been so cold before or since. And I had absolutely no doubt that my life had ended.

I cannot describe what a special gift it was to be able to come to a point of total clarity about my existence and then to be allowed to keep on living.

.......But, I'm certainly not advocating crashing your scooter to try and achive nirvana. :lol: