Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red dot for 3gun/Heavy iron

• 4 weeks later...

+1 on the spitfire; the Spitfire AR has a 3MOA dot and an optional ballistic marked turret for elevation/drop.  It's not ideal for me personally on the close paper, I apparently have some cross-dominance in my eyes that results in seeing 2 targets, but at distance it works better for me than my Aimpoint and Eotech I've used before.  I don't think many others experience the double image thing.

I used  Trijicon MRO a couple of years ago to win HM at Blue Ridge.  I really like the field of view with the MRO, and the 2MOA dot.  But, the illumination adjustment could be improved with another setting between 3 and 4.  3 works for heavy overcast, but if the sun is out, you have to use 4 to see the dot, and at 4, the dot blooms just a little, making it look more like a 4moa+ dot.  

Eotech, despite their propensity to de-laminate and eat batteries, has the best illumination settings in my opinion.  1 MOA dot, great FOV, it's hard to beat for the game.  I have had a Spitfire before, I love Vortex, but couldn't warm up to the Spitfire.  A lot of guys use it to good effect though.  I'm interested to see a Vortex UH-1- if it combines a reticle similar to Eotech with Vortex reliability, it'll be a strong contender.