Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Major Match On Wheels

EricW

I'm a USPSA member, yet I've never shot an area or national level match, the primary reason is that the closest one to me (either this years Area 1 or Area 2 in Rio) is about a 20 hour drive one way, not really something I want to do (I know call me lazy).

If it would take you 20 hours to get from Colorado Springs to this year's Area 3 outside of Kansas City, you might want to think about tuning up your vehicle! :)

We have had area matches here in A8 that were joint ventures and also ones that were single club efforts.

THe joint ventures CAN be really good or they can be a real problem. The biggest problem is the feeling of "ownership of a stage" The RM and MD MUST have the ultimate say over how the stage is set-up, often the contributing club wants to do it their way or the highway. This is not good.

We have traveled with a complete stage on our club members trailer to a match, we were well treated and well received. We had no problem working with the host club and the RM/MD. But in the past this has occured. Essentially this is probably the one big item that has to be worked out well in advance.

In the future we would conceivably do this again, it is just the personal and business schedules that have currently prevented us.

As to sharing props, as a rule this has not been a problem, when asked we have helped out. It is again usually a matter of logistics more than a question of will we.

THe one problem that can occur is when the USPSA club is only a small part of the main club, often the board is made up of non-Action shooters and they do not always understand or appreciate what we do. We are generally tolerated, but not usually apreciated. Unless we bring in a lot of additional money and not always then.

Jim

Judging from the results so far, it looks like an idea with substantial merit.

Another benefit, a match in a box (match-box trailer?) might open up some new venues. There may be other ranges out there that have plenty of bays, but no local USPSA club. Pick a city. If we could rent a range, roll into an area, set up a 12 stage match and show the locals what we are about, we might see some very strong opportunities for expanding the sport.

Picture a BIG USPSA logo on the side, lots of good graphics, industry sponsor logos all over the thang! B) We could contact the local media and law enforcement to promo gun racing. This may be just the kick in the pants we need.

Where's Micheal Bane....? :rolleyes:

IPSC roadies????

• 2 weeks later...
Notably, USPSA actually pays PASA park a non-trivial amount of money to store USPSA-owned equipment. 

Bruce

I made the above comment a couple of weeks back. Since then, as a result of a couple of off-list emails, I have learned that it is *not* accurate.

Under the current contract, in which USPSA holds a Nationals at PASA each year, USPSA pays PASA two separate fees - one for "use of the range", and one for "producing a match" (setup and tear-down labor, etc). The annual cost of storing USPSA's props and equipment is included in the "use of the range" fee, and is not a separate line item.

My apologies for making an erroneous statement (and moreso, for not looking up the facts before hitting the keyboard).

Bruce