Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Precsion Delta Bullets

bulm540

Kevin,

I've got a handfull of the .40 -180 gr. sitting in front of me, they just hit the doorstep.  I haven't mic'd them yet, but they appear to be of very high quality - at least they were when they left Precision...

UPS just beat the living ****** out of them, so there's lots of dents and dings.  I think they'll be just fine for practice and local matches.  They're certainly better than lead, plated, and polymer-coated bullets.  For major matches, I'm pretty sure I'll be shooting Zeros from Angus.  I doubt I'd risk problems in a major match on these bullets.

FWIW...

• 1 month later...

I have a good bit of experience with Precision Delta, having shot several thousand Precision Delta 180 .40's in the past and having bought 5000 more at Area 4. They are consistent, accurate, and priced very competitively. I have talked with Joe, and he told me that he intends to keep the prices as competive as possible. The reason they are as high as they are now is due to raw materials costs (same reason everyone's bullets are up), so I'd anticipate changes (if any) would be due to another rise in cost of raw materials.

You'd die to know what I paid for the first couple thousand bullets I first got to try well over a year (or was that two?) or so ago. . . That was the old nose design (truncated cone) which I had no problems with. The new nose is even better. (Thanks Johnny!) A round nose flat point I think it would be called. Feeds like a dream. Very similar to Montana Gold 180 JHP profile. As someone else mentioned, I don't even change my seating die and they load pretty close to my MG OAL. They do have an exposed base but I really haven't seen that to be a problem. There was talk that they might be working on a hollow point in the future. I'd like that for sure, but I like the bullets I am shooting now too.

It's great to support a Mississippi company, even though we are at opposite ends of the State. The folks at Precision Delta are great to deal with and I recommend them highly. It's great to see them out supporting IPSC matches. FWIW, Precision Delta bought at least some of Star Bullet's equipment and hired an employee after Star went out of business a while back.

Bryant Chaffin

L-2532

Now Just for ya'lls information.....

Yes they have been making PPC loaded and unloaded components.

Yes that is the Johnny Brister from MS (4 gun GM) and He knows what he is doing, wants in a bullet and would not let Joe produce any thing but good quality stuff and have any thing to do with it.

Joe Tranam(sp) is as nice a guy you could want to meet, treats folks the way he wants to be treated. fair enough.

I have been using some of his .45 230 grn fmj. Yes they do have a lead base.

No they don't smoke or lead your gun, I am shooting a Revo I know what a dirty lead gun looks like and after 1500 rounds this week I finally cleaned it.

I did comparative tests the other day with my 2 625s. They were both 100% CLEAN.

After 50 of The Precision Deltas there was just a small "smoke" covering around where the cylider and the barrel meet.

After 50 Precision (the black bullet) the other gun was pretty much Identical.

I then cleaned them and retested.

After 150 Precision Deltas I could rub the cylinder in the front and get a little discoloring on my fingers.

After 150 Ranier Plated 230 grn (plated base) I could rub the cylinder and get some discoloring but not quite as much as the Deltas.

I was using the same exact load for all, except the different bullet....

For the price I see no other way than to go with the precision Deltas, and man were thay accurate (stacked 6 all in one little wad at 25 yds)

I have 20K "other' bullets to get rid of, then it will be Precision Deltas for me.

FWIW

Hopalong

Note: I was using 4.4 grn Clays at factory .45 length.... this Chronoed:

164,800 with the Precision Deltas

166,900 with the Raniers

172,200 with the Precision (black bullets)

I like them all and would recomend any of the 3, depending on price and availability.

The Precision Deltas seem to be just a little more accurate in my 625s (both of them like the PD. bullets best of the 3)

I will maybe take the Kimber out this weekend and do some testing with it....