Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock 2 trigger problem

B21

Searched on here but couldn't find anyone with the same problem that had a resolution.  With an empty magazine inserted into the gun the trigger will not reset. I figured it's binding somewhere on the trigger bar, with the slide off it does not have this problem.  Interestingly, it only does this with about half of my magazines.  The mags it does it with are also much harder to insert into the pistol when they are empty.  Other than a polish job the gun is stock.  I have reversed the mag release as I'm wrong handed. Not sure if this is normal or not. New to the platform coming from Glocks.  Thanks in advance 

Will these mags drop or freely or do they hang in the gun?

My gun doesn't like empty mags being fed to it unless you thumb the follower into just the right position first.

Does it only do it when an empty mag is insterted, versus a dummy round and then cycled until empty? If so... do what I do.

Dont worry about it.

Inserting an empty mag only. When I figured out it didn't effect  anything else I did indeed  quit  worrying  about it. It is strange though that reversing  the mag release causes  it to do that. 

Edited by 01Deuce

Thanks guys.  Memphis it only does it with an empty mag. Throw a dummy round in and it's fine, most of the mags will drop free.  I have two that won't even with the slide locked back. I'll chalk it up to a couple of bad mags and live with it.  BTW appreciate all your polishing videos.  Came in handy when it was time to learn how to disassemble this thing and polish it up.  

Edited by B21

I pretty much flipped the mag catch before ever inserting a magazine into the gun. If not for this post I would never have thought about that being the cause.

It's normal for some Tanfos to act funny after inserting an empty magazine into the gun, mostly due to how the follower can move inside the mag body. Since this is a situation you cannot replicate when operating the gun, it's a non-issue: just do your dryfire with at least one dummy round in each mag.

Trigger not resetting -->  I suspect the trigger bar is not moving up freely.    Happening ONLY with an empty mag gives a hint.  The mag body is pushed down and straightened by the bullets against the slide.  This also ONLY happened AFTER the mag release was flipped.  The little nub bit that sticks into the mag might be asymmetrical .  Thus when in "righty" the mag sits in one position.  When in "lefty" it is in a slightly different position and the mag body interferes with the trigger bow. 

With that said, it could also be the cutout in the mag body for the "lefty" side could be off a hair. 

A potential solution would be to file the opening in the mag body on the lefty side slightly to allow the mag to sit lower.   (proceed at your own peril ! )  WIthout fondling and fiddling with the gun personally, I'm just giving the most logical potential.

A different cause might be the mag body is too plump.  Then mag release could then be pushing it over enough to interfere with the trigger bar.  Carefully measure the mag bodies and see if the "bad" ones are different in a dimension from the good ones.  Probably only talking a 5-10 thousandths. 

I also am "Ass-U-me"-ing that you have the factory plunger spring installed.