Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can someone explain why Heavy Metal is only .45

At least Angel's reasoning makes a little sense.  Most of the people that want to screw with HM rules by allowing this or that into it only want to because they dislike the class or feel the need to boost attendance in an intentionally limited class.  

One problem I see, over and over however, is the special snowflake concept (forgive me) of "BUT I WANT to shoot in [whatever class] but I don't have [required equipment] so you need to change the RULES of  [whatever class] to accommodate me" outlook.  Some MD's cave in to that mentality, and you get the hodgepodge of rules that we currently see.  Can you imagine if Nascar started allowing euro spec rally cars in their races?

• 3 months later...

Last year we had Heavy Sport and Heavy Optics.  I liked the option to use a semi shotgun because I could shoot heavy + practical at local matches and only had to take a 9, 45, 223, 308, and semi 12ga plugged at 8+1 and left more room on the cart.  During dove season I could just turn my stoeger M3000 back to bird mode and use the supernova to shoot heavy + PCC.  Turkey season then turns the supernova to a bird gun for a few months and I would turn the stoeger M3000 to 8+1 for Heavy + practical.  Deer season, 3-9x40 scope on the 308 and just shoot PCC + practical.

Now we just have Heavy aka HV-3G.  10rnd 45ACP pistol, 308 rifle with scope and any magazine capacity, Pump shotgun that starts loaded with 9, but can be topped off after the buzzer. 
Correct? 

I can dig it.  Now i just gotta swap a 1-6 power scope from another rifle and I cant use my extended 17 round 45 mags as intended.  Turkey season (now) will mean swapping super nova accessories and tubes around a lot but oh well.  

Now for the confusion.  I see Practical 308 aka P308-3G.

This sounds like you just use your 308 rifle, but I see no heavy requirements on the pistol or shotgun. I'm guessing you could use your 9mm pistol and Semi shotgun as 12+1.  It really sounds like Practical but shooting a 308.  Also, should this division be combined for scoring with either heavy (not fair as pump vs semi and 9 vs 45) or practical (kinda even)?

However, I see no allowance for 1 shot neutralization for the 308 rifle. If you still need 2 on paper with 308 whats the point of a separate division? Were they just sloppy with the rules writing or am I reading into it too hard?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2018 at 11:50 PM, jonathan1994 said:

Last year we had Heavy Sport and Heavy Optics.  I liked the option to use a semi shotgun because I could shoot heavy + practical at local matches and only had to take a 9, 45, 223, 308, and semi 12ga plugged at 8+1 and left more room on the cart.  During dove season I could just turn my stoeger M3000 back to bird mode and use the supernova to shoot heavy + PCC.  Turkey season then turns the supernova to a bird gun for a few months and I would turn the stoeger M3000 to 8+1 for Heavy + practical.  Deer season, 3-9x40 scope on the 308 and just shoot PCC + practical.

Now we just have Heavy aka HV-3G.  10rnd 45ACP pistol, 308 rifle with scope and any magazine capacity, Pump shotgun that starts loaded with 9, but can be topped off after the buzzer. 
Correct? 

I can dig it.  Now i just gotta swap a 1-6 power scope from another rifle and I cant use my extended 17 round 45 mags as intended.  Turkey season (now) will mean swapping super nova accessories and tubes around a lot but oh well.  

Now for the confusion.  I see Practical 308 aka P308-3G.

This sounds like you just use your 308 rifle, but I see no heavy requirements on the pistol or shotgun. I'm guessing you could use your 9mm pistol and Semi shotgun as 12+1.  It really sounds like Practical but shooting a 308.  Also, should this division be combined for scoring with either heavy (not fair as pump vs semi and 9 vs 45) or practical (kinda even)?

However, I see no allowance for 1 shot neutralization for the 308 rifle. If you still need 2 on paper with 308 whats the point of a separate division? Were they just sloppy with the rules writing or am I reading into it too hard?

I too am confused by the Practical 308 and Heavy rules both being included and different.  The 3GN club match I attended last weekend used "Heavy", but I didn't ask a lot of questions.

Edited by Matt in TN