Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most efficient setup for 9mm/5.56/308

crispyrice

On 7/24/2017 at 2:31 PM, R1_Demon said:

Kaldor - Eh...kids are overrated.  Get the 1050.  LOL!  (I'm totally kidding!)

On 7/25/2017 at 4:11 PM, Want2BS8ed said:

Kids... LOL

Im a single dad of a couple of kids, 8 YO daughter and a 13 YO son, so anything fun that I want takes a back seat.

My kids both started shooting at 7 or 8.  And my son is 13 and can field strip my ARs and knows how to reload.  Hes my designated brass processing partner, IE handle puller for decap and sizing runs.  And he can shoot, putting about 4k a year thru my ARs and pistols, so its funny watching him school people on a consistent basis. :)

On 7/26/2017 at 11:32 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

I'm a 650 user. Been using one exclusively since 2008. With that in mind:

The winning budget setup will be a 550 plus whatever side items you need to trim brass or swage military .308 brass. Cheap press, decently fast, and the fastest and most affordable caliber conversions.

If possible, save up and buy a 1050. I'm going to convert to one soon. Swaging, trimming, loading in bulk and in insane quantities is vastly easier than a 650. With this press you'll end up doing batches: If you shoot 200 .308s a month, simply load up 1K and enjoy having ammo onhand for the next four months.

The lack of warranty isn't an issue: it's designed for professionals loading thousands of rounds a day, and they're the reason it doesn't carry a warranty. You might go through $15 of springs or lost tiny locator buttons or the like per year. Maybe.

Swaging on a 650 requires an aftermarket attachment that voids your warranty, just so you're aware.

I agree with you 100%, but you can remove the SwageIt and it leaves no marks that will clue Dillon into the fact youve been swaging.  Reports have shown that it takes about the same force to seat a primer as it does to swage a case.  

So I am getting ready to make the plunge with the 1050. Just have to pay for lasik coming up in a month then ill make the purchase. With the adjustable primer seating will this be a problem with mixed 9mm brass?

I'll just say from direct experience that the 1050 primes mixed 9mm brass far better than any other Dillon press out there. That's one of the main reasons I want to switch from my 650 - now that I shoot a hammer-fired gun with lightened springs... primer seating is a huge factor.

31 minutes ago, crispyrice said:

So I am getting ready to make the plunge with the 1050. Just have to pay for lasik coming up in a month then ill make the purchase. With the adjustable primer seating will this be a problem with mixed 9mm brass?

No. In theory you might get some variation, but it will be less than you would see when priming by feel.

Ordered the press in 9mm and the primer depth came from Dillon already set at a perfect 0.002" below flush and I've never needed to change it. It's an easy adjustment from the top of the head though - you'll have to do it if you're setting up a new/empty head. Learned that one the hard way when I set my second head up from scratch.

I sort by headstamp after wet tumbling - more to cull out brands of brass I won't reload than anything - and the only time I've needed to adjust seating depth is when I have changed bullets. The last 4K I ran there were a couple hundred old Federal cases (FC pre ATK) and the rest was split between my 5th or 6th loading of R•P brass and 3rd loading of Starline brass. No changes to primer or bullet seating depth were needed.

Good luck with the Lasik. I'm too chicken - gives me the willies to even watch my wife with her contacts. Then again I also look as if I have Tourrets Syndrome at the line as I roll my bi-focals up and down looking at the target and then front sight.

M

17 hours ago, Want2BS8ed said:

No. In theory you might get some variation, but it will be less than you would see when priming by feel.

Ordered the press in 9mm and the primer depth came from Dillon already set at a perfect 0.002" below flush and I've never needed to change it. It's an easy adjustment from the top of the head though - you'll have to do it if you're setting up a new/empty head. Learned that one the hard way when I set my second head up from scratch.

I sort by headstamp after wet tumbling - more to cull out brands of brass I won't reload than anything - and the only time I've needed to adjust seating depth is when I have changed bullets. The last 4K I ran there were a couple hundred old Federal cases (FC pre ATK) and the rest was split between my 5th or 6th loading of R•P brass and 3rd loading of Starline brass. No changes to primer or bullet seating depth were needed.

Good luck with the Lasik. I'm too chicken - gives me the willies to even watch my wife with her contacts. Then again I also look as if I have Tourrets Syndrome at the line as I roll my bi-focals up and down looking at the target and then front sight.

M

Yea I am the same way with eye but they promised me Valium for the procedure. If it wasn't for my job and me not being able to do contacts I wouldn't do it. my vision isnt the worse and they were talking about getting me 20/15 vision lol idk if that will help anymore then normal vision