Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Local Match - Production

Chili

I'll start with a bit of a preface since I'm newer to the forum and haven't posted a video before.  I've been shooting for just over 2 years now and I just squeaked into B class the last time I had a chance to shoot a classifier.  This match I shot 91% of the points before penalty (had 1 mike).

Stages are posted in the order shot and here is what I observed with my B class eyes so far:

Stage 6- Slow transition after 1st two targets and confusion coming into the first port even though I had it clearly in my mind during walk through.

Stage 8 - Changed plan after early misses knowing I'd need a reload, even with this I stopped and dwelled at the activator for a second before moving on even though I knew I was going to come back to it.

Stage 1- I had a mike on the last small metal plate, I had called the shot good and moved on and I hit the shroud just below the plate.

Stage 2+3 - SHO & WHO are definitely on the need to practice more list.

Stage 4 - Took an unneeded very late make up on last target when I didn't trust my shot calling and only noticed one hole in target.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

1. Your extension to the very first target was slow as hell. Common way to waste time: Draw and extend really slowly when facing a distant target. Hustle the draw on close ones.

Always get the gun up fast, then take the needed time. 

(And get your unloaded gun start time down)

2. You take a full second to get the first shot off after entering pretty much every position. Have the sights up and indexed in the first A zone WHILE you're stopping.

3. You split far too fast on most targets and transition very very slowly. Worn on transitions and seeing more sight on shot #2.

4. Get your plans burned in better. When you know you're likely to go to slide lock, don't. miss. steel. Shoot much more deliberately.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.  I see what you mean on that extension on the first target, I obviously got lost on that one being an unloaded start as I am normally cognizant of getting the gun onto the target as fast as possible and then refining sight picture to see what is needed for the shot.  I fumbled that load going over the grip with the mag so absolutely more work is needed on my unloaded starts.

I'm just starting to work on movement and one of the biggest spots is exactly what you mention coming in ready to shoot, I seem to struggle trying to get the footwork down (smaller fast steps vs full steps) and come in needing to settle everything down.  Part of this is trying to make a conscious effort for a more athletic stance (deeper knee bend) but I'm struggling with the due to bad knees.

Transitions are something I've been doing a bit of work on and I think part of it is struggling with shot calling.

LOL, point noted but at 51, fat, out of shape with bad knee's I'm not sure how much better that is going to get.  I found for this match I never had a spot where I had more than a few steps to really try to go, again that comes down to working on movement I believe and those short quick steps.

Yeah I'm hoping this sport will get me motivated enough to work on the weight as well.  Four knee surgeries from hockey and racing MX topped off by carrying a bunch of extra weight hasn't done them any favors.